Lie Flat to Australia: United Business Class Saver Awards Available for the Whole Family
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
If your whole family wants to use miles to fly to Australia in business class lie-flat seats, right now they can do just that thanks to better than average United saver award availability. Not only that, but you can book these awards via a Star Alliance partner and save 40,000 miles per round trip…
The holy grail of airline redemptions in the frequent flyer world was generally thought to be securing business class awards to Australia and New Zealand at the saver level. These awards existed, but getting them took skill, luck, or both. In the last few years finding those awards has gotten somewhat easier as more routes have been launched, but it is still pretty tough to get business class saver awards for a whole family from the United States to Australia and back.
Or rather, it is normally pretty tough to score those awards. If you want to fly from Houston to Sydney and back in business class this summer, start packing your family’s bags because there are saver awards aplenty for as many as nine people.
I recommend using United’s 30-day calendar view as shown above to spot the days listed at the business class saver rate of 80,000 miles each way. If you don’t want to spend 160,000 United miles per person to fly round trip business class to Australia, you can fly the very same United-operated flights for just 120,000 miles if you book via Star Alliance partner, ANA.
ANA charges just 120,000 miles for a round trip business class award from the United States to Australia. If you already have ANA miles, or you have Amex Membership Reward points you can transfer to ANA, this is another way to take advantage of the better than average United business class availability to Australia. Know that transfer times from Amex Membership Rewards to ANA are not instant, and typically take 1 – 2 days in my experience. If you have 480,000 ANA miles (or Membership Reward points) burning a hole in your pocket, you can cash them for four round trip business class tickets to Australia and back thanks to the United saver award availability.
In terms of weather, Sydney temperatures in June and July look to often be in the 40 – 60 degree range, which sounds lovely given that we are pushing 100 here right now.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees