This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If your whole family wants to use miles to fly to Australia in business class lie-flat seats, right now they can do just that thanks to better than average United saver award availability. Not only that, but you can book these awards via a Star Alliance partner and save 40,000 miles per round trip…
The holy grail of airline redemptions in the frequent flyer world was generally thought to be securing business class awards to Australia and New Zealand at the saver level. These awards existed, but getting them took skill, luck, or both. In the last few years finding those awards has gotten somewhat easier as more routes have been launched, but it is still pretty tough to get business class saver awards for a whole family from the United States to Australia and back.
Or rather, it is normally pretty tough to score those awards. If you want to fly from Houston to Sydney and back in business class this summer, start packing your family’s bags because there are saver awards aplenty for as many as nine people.
I recommend using United’s 30-day calendar view as shown above to spot the days listed at the business class saver rate of 80,000 miles each way. If you don’t want to spend 160,000 United miles per person to fly round trip business class to Australia, you can fly the very same United-operated flights for just 120,000 miles if you book via Star Alliance partner, ANA.
ANA charges just 120,000 miles for a round trip business class award from the United States to Australia. If you already have ANA miles, or you have Amex Membership Reward points you can transfer to ANA, this is another way to take advantage of the better than average United business class availability to Australia. Know that transfer times from Amex Membership Rewards to ANA are not instant, and typically take 1 – 2 days in my experience. If you have 480,000 ANA miles (or Membership Reward points) burning a hole in your pocket, you can cash them for four round trip business class tickets to Australia and back thanks to the United saver award availability.
In terms of weather, Sydney temperatures in June and July look to often be in the 40 – 60 degree range, which sounds lovely given that we are pushing 100 here right now.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards