Airlines issue waivers for LAX as fires continue to burn
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying into or out of LAX over the next couple of days it’s worth keeping an eye on the current brush fire burning in Saddleridge, north of Los Angeles, as airlines have begun issuing flight waivers.
The fire, which started on Thursday, has burned more than 7,500 acres to the west of San Fernando. More than 1,000 firefighters are working around the clock to battle the blaze, which is currently only 19% contained. Mandatory evacuations have been issued for more than 23,000 homes in the area.
While there are no current impacts to travel according to the LAX airport’s Twitter account, that could change at any time.
As a precaution, American, Delta and United have all issued waivers for flight changes. If you are scheduled to fly on Saturday or Sunday you can make changes to your flight if you are worried about the impact of the fire.
American Airlines Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 11 or 12, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take place by October 15, 2019
Delta Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 11 – 13, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take place by October 16, 2019
United Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 12 or 13, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take play by October 16, 2019
If you are scheduled to fly into or out of LAX over the next few days, it will be a good idea to keep an eye on the current situation with the Saddleridge fire. You can get updates on the fire from the LAFD website.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees