Airlines issue waivers for LAX as fires continue to burn
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying into or out of LAX over the next couple of days it’s worth keeping an eye on the current brush fire burning in Saddleridge, north of Los Angeles, as airlines have begun issuing flight waivers.
The fire, which started on Thursday, has burned more than 7,500 acres to the west of San Fernando. More than 1,000 firefighters are working around the clock to battle the blaze, which is currently only 19% contained. Mandatory evacuations have been issued for more than 23,000 homes in the area.
While there are no current impacts to travel according to the LAX airport’s Twitter account, that could change at any time.
As a precaution, American, Delta and United have all issued waivers for flight changes. If you are scheduled to fly on Saturday or Sunday you can make changes to your flight if you are worried about the impact of the fire.
American Airlines Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 11 or 12, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take place by October 15, 2019
Delta Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 11 – 13, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take place by October 16, 2019
United Waiver Information
- For flights booked on October 12 or 13, 2019
- Rescheduled travel must take play by October 16, 2019
If you are scheduled to fly into or out of LAX over the next few days, it will be a good idea to keep an eye on the current situation with the Saddleridge fire. You can get updates on the fire from the LAFD website.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Irfan Khan/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.