Last Chance for Flat-Rate Hyatt Points + Cash Reservations
Earlier this month, we broke the news that Hyatt would be devaluing its popular Points + Cash awards, a move that was confirmed by the program a few days later. This update is set to be implemented tomorrow, Thursday November 1, so today is your last chance to lock in stays using the current Points + Cash chart.
As a reminder, here’s what those award rates are today:
And here’s what they’ll be as of tomorrow:
This award option used to be terrific when revenue rates were high, since the cash copay was fixed. It didn’t matter if a Category 5 property was advertising rooms for $300 or $600 per night; you would spend 10,000 points + $125 in either scenario. Starting tomorrow, however, the cash amount for those stays will become 50% of the standard rate.
If you’re planning a Hyatt stay in the next year and were hoping to use Points + Cash, I’d go ahead and make a speculative booking, even if you haven’t finalized the details. These reservations should be completely refundable, so you won’t have to worry about losing your points if the trip falls through. And if you need to top up your account, remember that World of Hyatt is a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards.
Of course, after tomorrow I’d continue to watch the paid rates for any stays previously booked using Points + Cash. If the standard rate for that room drops below 2x the flat copay you’ve booked, you should be able to call and adjust the reservation to the lower cash amount, though in that case you might want to consider simply paying cash for the room and saving your points for a full award redemption.
The changes to Hyatt’s Points + Cash awards hurt. Even though the program is opening up additional award options for premium suites, this particular redemption was a way to get outsized value from your Hyatt points. Today is your last day to book these award stays at the current rates, so act now before you’re forced to pony up more cash for your next trip.
Featured image courtesy of Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.