Last Chance: How to Make Sure You’ve Used Your Amex Platinum Airline Fee Credit Before Year-End
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) on The Platinum Card® from American Express is one of the highest among premium travel credit cards. The card offers many benefits that, when maximized, can easily provide more than $550 in value — but the key is that you have to actually use these benefits to get the value.
The Amex Platinum offers a couple perks that will reset at the end of the year, so you’re leaving money on the table if you don’t utilize these benefits before they reset. The largest of these benefits is the $200 annual airline fee credit. Do the following to check your progress toward using this fee credit:
- Log in to your American Express account
- Click the Benefits tab
- Either click the “Travel” tab or just scroll down on the main benefits page to find the $200 airline fee credit
You’ll see a progress bar that shows your progress toward using the airline fee credit.
Technically, this credit is meant to be used toward incidentals like checked baggage fees, seat assignment fees and airline lounge passes. Depending on how airlines code certain purchases, though, it’s also sometimes possible to purchase airline gift cards to use toward tickets and be reimbursed for those. Check out these two TPG articles for our research on which airline gift card purchases usually will be reimbursed. And, if you haven’t selected one qualifying airline yet for this fee credit, do so wisely before making any purchases with this airline.
There are also two other benefits that will also reset at the end of the year: your $35 December Uber credit and your July through December $50 Saks Fifth Avenue statement credit. You get a $15 bonus on top of the normal $20 Uber credit for December, but remember that you’ll need to select Uber Cash in order to use your credit. Although these credits are smaller than the $200 airline fee credit, they’re still worth taking advantage of before the end of the year to get maximum value from your Platinum Card.
Featured photo by Ileana Ravasio/Attimi Photography for The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, please click here.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees