Kilauea Spews Ash 2 Miles Into Sky, Hawaiian Updates Travel Waiver
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano saw a new eruption Tuesday night that spewed plumes of ash and smoke as high as two miles into the sky, officials said.
According to pilots’ reports, the wall of smoke swirled as high as 12,000 feet into the air after multiple small earthquakes shook the Big Island on Tuesday.
“We are observing more or less continuous emissions of ash,” Steve Brantley of the federal Hawaiian Volcano Observatory told USA Today.
The Volcano Observatory Notification for Aviation issued a code red alert after the eruption. A code red alert means that “eruption is underway…with significant emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere.”
In response to Kilauea’s wall of volcanic ash, Hawaiian Airlines extended its existing travel waiver through May 31, stating Hawaiian passengers traveling to/from Hilo, Hawaii (ITO) or Kona, Hawaii (KOA) between May 3, 2018, and May 31, 2018, will be permitted a one-time reservation change with waiver of change fee provided that:
- Ticket was issued on/before May 4, 2018
- Affected flight(s) is/are originally scheduled for travel on May 3, 2018 through May 31, 2018
- Changes must be ticketed for new flights no later than June 7, 2018
- New travel must commence no later than June 7, 2018
All other airlines serving Hawaii did not update their most recent travel waivers.
Kilauea, Hawaii’s most active volcano, has been continually erupting for almost two weeks, with this latest column of ash being the largest eruptive activity since the volcano began spewing lava on May 3. Scientist say this latest activity is similar to a 1924 eruption in which Kilauea shot ash 20,000 feet in the air and bombed rocks as large as refrigerators into the surrounding region.
Scientists report that strong trade winds were blowing the ash and smoke southwest away from the island.
Officials are not able to predict when this eruption might end. “At any time, activity may become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent,” the US Geological Survey said in a statement Tuesday.
All photos courtesy USGS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees