Jordan Aviation could launch US flights with a former Emirates plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a fun bit of aviation geekery for a Saturday afternoon: As One Mile at a Time reports, a small Jordanian carrier, Jordan Aviation — not to be confused with Oneworld member Royal Jordanian — has filed for a foreign air carrier permit with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
It’s a bit too early in the process for this to generate any real excitement, but one element, in particular, has me intrigued.
Jordan Aviation has a very small fleet, and few aircraft capable of flying nonstop between Amman (AMM) and the United States. The plane most likely to make the trip, however, is an Airbus A330-300 that once flew for Emirates, and even sports the old Emirates interior — including the airline’s former first class.
This particular plane, with registration JY-JVA, offers 12 first-class seats, 42 in business class and 183 in economy, and flew for Emirates for about five years before making its way to Jordan Aviation in early 2016.
Granted, an A330 with a nearly 20-year-old interior might not appeal to the majority of long-haul travelers, but it would certainly be of interest to aviation geeks looking to fly on an exceptionally rare plane.
It’s unclear where exactly Jordan Aviation intends to fly, though it’s worth noting that its Oneworld member counterpart, Royal Jordanian, generally offers service to Chicago (ORD), Detroit (DTW) and New York-JFK.
With a far inferior onboard product, Jordan Aviation would need to serve a different city, or offer far lower fares than its far more established competitor in order to appeal to travelers — especially considering that Royal Jordanian often flies state-of-the-art 787 Dreamliners to the United States.
Feature image by Mohammad Abu Ghosh/Xinhua via Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees