JFK, SFO and LAX will screen arriving passengers for dangerous new respiratory illness
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Friday Jan. 17, passengers arriving from Wuhan, China to three U.S. destinations will undergo extra screening by staff from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The agency has deployed about 100 employees to New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX). Those three airports receive most of the visitors arriving to the U.S. from Wuhan, though only JFK and SFO have direct flights.
The CDC said in a statement that the new virus generally presents a low risk to U.S. citizens, but the agency is conducting the screenings as a precaution.
The screenings will include questioning arriving passengers about symptoms, and taking their temperature. Those who have a fever and exhibit symptoms of the disease will be moved to a more in-depth screening.
Doctors with the CDC said on a briefing with reporters that this disease is similar to earlier outbreaks of SARS and MERS, and the agency’s response to those diseases is informing its plan to address the new virus.
The New York Times, which has been reporting on the spread of the disease, said it originated in meat and fish markets near Wuhan, and is contracted through contact with infected animals. According to the paper, about 5,000 passengers are expected to be screened in the next few weeks. So far, two patients have died and at least 45 people have contracted the disease abroad, The Times reported.
Featured photo by Jeff Greenberg/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.