JetBlue Wants to Sell You a Seat on a Semi-Private Jet
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue will begin selling seats on semi-private jets beginning in May as part of a new codeshare partnership with public charter operator JetSuiteX. The seats will be available to book on JetBlue.com, the airline announced on Monday.
Starting May 1, JetBlue will place its “B6” airline code on several JetSuiteX Air-operated flights, departing out of private terminals and fixed base operators (FBOs) throughout the western US, including Burbank (BUR), Concord (CCR), Oakland (OAK) and Las Vegas (LAS) airports.
JetSuiteX, whose business model is centered on the claim that it offers the “speed and comfort” of private jet travel at the price of commercial airline seats, has been selling semi-private jet seats since April 2016. The codeshare does not yet offer connecting flights to or from New York-based JetBlue’s network. So, JetSuiteX passengers must arrive and depart from JetSuiteX’s private terminals and FBOs for their JetSuiteX-operated flights.
Passengers on the new semi-private JetBlue/JetSuiteX codeshare flights can check two bags for free, up to a combined weight of 50 lbs. JetSuiteX’s E-135 regional jets seat 30 passengers in a 1-2 configuration, and each seat has a power outlet and 36 inches of pitch. There are also complimentary cocktails and snacks offered on board each flight.
JetSuiteX customers will also be able to skip long security lines and baggage claims to arrive at the airport just 15-20 minutes before departure and board their flight within minutes. TPG Contributor J. Keith van Straaten flew one-way in economy on JetSuiteX in 2016 from Burbank (BUR) to Las Vegas (LAS). He found it to be one of the “most stress-free flying experiences” he ever had.
A search on JetBlue’s website shows tickets are going for about $430 roundtrip. Sadly, the website also states you cannot use TrueBlue points to book partner airline fares.
Offering seats on semi-private public charters is the latest move by JetBlue in an effort to offer more plush travel. The airline has been expanding its premium Mint service to additional markets, adding Mint in San Diego (SAN), Las Vegas (LAS), Seattle (SEA) and Palm Springs (PSP) in the last year.
JetBlue currently serves nine airports in California, and the carrier has also recently expanded service in markets across Southern California and in the Bay Area.
The new partnership is the first between a semi-private public charter operator and a major national carrier, and represents another expansion move for semi-private regional carrier JetSuiteX, which received a sizable financial investment from backer Qatar Airways earlier this month.
Featured photo courtesy JetSuiteX.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees