JetBlue will do a flyover of New York City with 3 planes on Thursday evening
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A week after the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels and the Air Force’s Thunderbirds overflew New York City to show support for health care and essential workers, JetBlue is about to do the same.
The New York City-based airline will fly three Airbus A320s at low altitude over the city’s five boroughs on Thursday, May 7, between 7 and 8 p.m. in what it called the “JetBlue Flyover Salute.” A map published by the airline shows the planes taking off from their home base at JFK airport then proceeding to fly over every borough before returning to JFK.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter
For the occasion, JetBlue is using three of its aircraft wearing special colors with New York-centric themes: one painted blue and dedicated to the New York Police Department, one in red for the New York Fire Department, and a third one wearing an “I Love New York” livery.
All of the three A320s that will perform the flyover have been operating regular flights lately, while 177 of the airline’s 265 jets are currently grounded due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to fleet-tracking site Planespotters.
JetBlue pointed out in a press release that the flyover involves no cost for the airline thanks to partners including an unnamed company that provided the fuel.
The flyover is timed to concide with the daily 7 p.m. clap for health care workers, when New Yorkers clap and bang pots and pans from their windows and balconies to salute the people who are fighting the COVID-19 pandemic in person.
JetBlue also said it’s starting an initiative to directly help those health care workers by donating flights. According to a statement by the airline, the public can nominate a health care worker to receive one of 90,000 pairs of roundtrip flight certificates for two, “to use when the time is right.” Through May 15, you can submit a name and description of why the person is being nominated at jetblue.com/healthcarehero. The airline is also donating pairs of roundtrip flight certificates to 10,000 healthcare workers at the Mount Sinai Health System and NYC Health + Hospitals.
Featured photo by Jerry Holt/Star Tribune via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees