JetBlue gets into ASMR with ‘calming’ airport sounds
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling can be stressful enough (even if you have lounge access or a business class ticket), am I right?
But now JetBlue is hoping to ease the anxiety of airport travel by releasing an ASMR video. For those who aren’t familiar, ASMR stands for autonomous sensory meridian response, which describes a feeling of euphoric tingling and relaxation that can come over someone when watching certain videos or hearing certain sounds, according to sleep.org.
For more TPG news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
JetBlue on December 16 released a nine-minute YouTube video introducing “AirSMR,” which it says is a a selection of calming airport sounds to help you chill, study, sleep, travel, and more. At the beginning of the video, a soothing voice from JetBlue’s Terminal 5 at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) advises listeners to put on a pair of headphones.
You’ll hear some regular airport sounds — luggage rolling on the ground, the time, boarding calls — without the usual hubbub of loud phone calls or travelers rushing the gate before their boarding group is called. Some calming breathing exercises midway through the video are sure to get your relaxed before your trip. There’s even some JetBlue promotion as the narrator points out that there are charging outlets onboard many JetBlue flights.
While traveling can be relaxing and calming, that isn’t always the case.
A 2012 study found that planning a trip produced higher levels of stress when compared to the stress related to the actual travel or stay.
Those who took an international vacation with a spouse or loved one reported more stress in the trip-planning phase. Men and older adults traveling with children were more prone to stress while traveling to the destination. First-time consumers and younger adults reported more stress while at the destination, the study also found.
Airlines are also thinking about how to “de-stress” travel. Now ex-United CEO Oscar Munoz told CNBC in a 2018 interview that the airline wanted to focus on ways to improve airline-passenger communication, including updates for irregular operations. The airline also wants to figure out how to notify travelers of delays far enough in advance that they may not even have to make a futile trip to the airport.
Featured image courtesy of Robert Alexander/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees