JetBlue taking delivery of first A220-300 just in time for New Year’s Eve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is taking delivery of its first-ever Airbus A220-300 on New Year’s Eve.
It’s the first of 70 of the aircraft that JetBlue has ordered to replace its aging fleet of Embraer 190 planes. The plane with a tail number N3008J is set to arrive at JetBlue’s hub in New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Thursday evening from Airbus’s U.S. production facility in Mobile, Alabama.
The flight is due to depart Mobile Airport (BFM) at 3:30 p.m. ET and arrive at JFK at 7:50 p.m. ET.
JetBlue says the new plane will have a 30% lower direct operating cost per seat than the E190s they will replace.
In a statement, JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes said:
“The A220 is a next-generation aircraft our customers and crewmembers will love, featuring impressive range and superior economics to support critical financial and operating priorities along with new network planning flexibility. And as we evolve our fleet for the future, the A220’s significant reduction in per-seat emissions supports our ongoing commitment to carbon neutrality for all our domestic flights, and moves us closer to achieving our pledge of net zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2040.”
JetBlue said it was the first airline to achieve carbon neutrality on domestic flights this year and has said it plans to achieve net zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2040.
C. Jeffrey Knittel, Chairman & CEO of Airbus Americas, said, “This first A220-300 delivery creates new route possibilities for JetBlue, and raises their passenger experience to even higher standards.”
We don’t yet know what routes the planes will fly. In May, the CEO said the airline might fly high-frequency routes, but COVID-19 has scrambled frequencies and routing so it’s hard to guess at this point.
The brand new planes will also offer a better journey inside too. The planes are going to have wider seats, bigger overhead bins and extra-large windows. More details on the interiors will be released in January. The planes will have a 2-3 all-economy configuration with seating for around 130 passengers.
A rendering of a JetBlue A220-300. (Image courtesy of Airbus)
Additional reporting by Zach Griff and Ned Russell.
Featured screenshot image courtesy of JetBlue Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.