JetBlue taking delivery of first A220-300 just in time for New Year’s Eve
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is taking delivery of its first-ever Airbus A220-300 on New Year’s Eve.
It’s the first of 70 of the aircraft that JetBlue has ordered to replace its aging fleet of Embraer 190 planes. The plane with a tail number N3008J is set to arrive at JetBlue’s hub in New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Thursday evening from Airbus’s U.S. production facility in Mobile, Alabama.
The flight is due to depart Mobile Airport (BFM) at 3:30 p.m. ET and arrive at JFK at 7:50 p.m. ET.
JetBlue says the new plane will have a 30% lower direct operating cost per seat than the E190s they will replace.
In a statement, JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes said:
“The A220 is a next-generation aircraft our customers and crewmembers will love, featuring impressive range and superior economics to support critical financial and operating priorities along with new network planning flexibility. And as we evolve our fleet for the future, the A220’s significant reduction in per-seat emissions supports our ongoing commitment to carbon neutrality for all our domestic flights, and moves us closer to achieving our pledge of net zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2040.”
JetBlue said it was the first airline to achieve carbon neutrality on domestic flights this year and has said it plans to achieve net zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2040.
C. Jeffrey Knittel, Chairman & CEO of Airbus Americas, said, “This first A220-300 delivery creates new route possibilities for JetBlue, and raises their passenger experience to even higher standards.”
We don’t yet know what routes the planes will fly. In May, the CEO said the airline might fly high-frequency routes, but COVID-19 has scrambled frequencies and routing so it’s hard to guess at this point.
The brand new planes will also offer a better journey inside too. The planes are going to have wider seats, bigger overhead bins and extra-large windows. More details on the interiors will be released in January. The planes will have a 2-3 all-economy configuration with seating for around 130 passengers.
A rendering of a JetBlue A220-300. (Image courtesy of Airbus)
Additional reporting by Zach Griff and Ned Russell.
Featured screenshot image courtesy of JetBlue Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees