Jet Airways Passengers Experience Nose, Ear Bleeds After Crew Forgets to Pressurize Cabin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Jet Airways flight was forced to return to its origin on Thursday after about 30 passengers experienced ear and nose bleeds because of low cabin pressure.
Jet Airways Flight 9W697, which was traveling from Mumbai (BOM) to Jaipur (JAI) with 166 passengers and five crew on board, took off normally from BOM. However, shortly after takeoff, the aircraft was forced to return to Mumbai, where it landed normally. An official with India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) told CNN that the crew forgot to pressurize the cabin.
“During climb, crew forgot to select bleed switch due to which cabin pressurization could not be maintained, and oxygen masks got deployed,” the official said.
Video posted to social media shows the cabin of the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration VT-JGS), with oxygen masks deployed.
“All guests were deplaned safely and taken to the terminal,” Jet Airways said in a statement. “First aid was administered to few guests who complained of ear pain, bleeding nose, etc.” Five people were referred to a hospital for additional medical attention and have since been released.
While Jet Airways confirmed in a statement that the aircraft turned back because of a loss of cabin pressure, the spokesperson refused to confirm that the depressurization was caused by crew error.
In a statement issued on the airline’s Twitter account, 144 of the 166 passengers opted to travel to Jaipur via an alternative Jet Airways flight, while 17 passengers chose to travel at another time.
The airline said that it’s working with the DGCA in the investigation, and apologized for any inconvenience.
This depressurization incident isn’t the first of its kind. In October, a depressurized AirAsia aircraft dropped 20,000 feet, causing panic among passengers. And just last month, a Qantas pilot was incapacitated midair when the cabin suddenly depressurized. If you’re ever in an emergency situation that requires the use of an oxygen mask, be sure to know how it works.
Featured image by Yatrik Sheth / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees