Jellyfish Invasion Forces More Than a Dozen Beach Closures in Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the weekend, during the height of the Australian summer, a swarm of bluebottle jellyfish stung thousands of beachgoers in Queensland, on Australia’s east coast. According to The New York Times, more than 3,500 stings were reported last weekend.
— Surf Life Saving QLD (@lifesavingqld) January 6, 2019
Though it’s not uncommon to find jellyfish in warm waters, there have been more than three times the number of reported stings between now and Dec. 1, the start of summer in Australia, than there were for the same period last year. So far, over a dozen beaches have been closed due to the jellyfish (technically, siphonophores). Their overwhelming presence was likely caused by easterly winds and swells pushing large numbers of jellyfish toward the shore.
“With those winds, we’re predicting that we probably will have some bluebottles and stingers around for the rest of the week,” lifeguard supervisor Rhys Drury told News7 Brisbane, adding that if you’re stung by a bluebottle, you should remove the tentacles immediately before cleaning the area with the hottest water you can stand. Hot water neutralizes the sting, while ice will numb it.
Jellyfish stings are no joke. There are thousands of jellyfish species, and though some only live for a few weeks, certain kinds can survive for a year or longer. They range in size and color, but no matter how small they might be, their sting can really hurt. Bluebottles are known for delivering an excruciating sting, but it’s not known to be deadly to humans.
Beth McCrea, a diver and social media director of the NYC Sea Gypsies, has been stung twice by jellyfish of different varieties, once while bodysurfing in Barbados and another time while snorkeling with dolphins in the Bahamas. “In the first case, I had no idea what was happening. I thought I had been electrocuted or there was a chemical spill,” she told TPG. “I of course knew of jellyfish stings, but had no idea they could feel like that. I ran onto the beach yelling and crying for the lifeguard.”
In McCrea’s case, the treatment was to douse the affected area with vinegar, but treatments may vary depending on the type of jellyfish you’ve been stung by. If you do get stung while traveling, be sure to seek assistance from the lifeguard or a medical professional.
Featured photo by natalie_board / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees