Japanese Airport Staff Dresses Up as Ninjas for National Ninja Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The area surrounding Chubu Centrair International Airport (NGO) in Central Japan is rich in samurai and ninja history. In 2018, the airport began the Samurai Ninja Project, as an initiative to promote the culture to international visitors. While the ninja culture is regularly displayed throughout the airport, Feb. 22 is an extra special occasion.
Since the number two in Japanese is “ni” and 2/22 translates to “ni” “ni” “ni” — which sounds a lot like “ninja” — the Japan Anniversary Association designated Feb. 22 as National Ninja Day.
To celebrate the event, 50 NGO airport staff members, from airline staff to cleaning crews, wore red and black ninja outfits.
An additional 3,500 airport workers wore badges that said they were on ninmu, which translates to duty. Instead of using the correct kanji (symbol) for ninmu, the character used for ninja was written on the badge instead, as a play on words.
The airport held a morning departure ceremony that included activities for children and a performance by the Hattori Hanzo Ninja Corps — the airport’s resident group of ninjas. The group performs at Chubu Airport and greets incoming tourists on the 22nd of each month. Each January, the airport holds a two-day long ninja festival, with shows and ninja-training experiences for travelers.
At the ceremony, airport director Masato Kondo said, “We want Chubu Airport to be known as ninja airport.”
While you soon will be able to fly to Tokyo’s Haneda Airport (HND) on several new routes from US carriers, consider booking a flight to NGO if you want to get the full ninja experience.
Featured photo by Chubu Centrair International Airport via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees