This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As The Doors said, “Show me the way to the next whisky bar.”
Well, if Jim Morrison had found himself living in Japan today, he’d be singing a different tune — Japan is in the throes of a domestic whisky shortage.
Suntory, a Japanese brewing and distilling company, is halting the sale of its extremely popular Hakushu 12-year and Hibiki 17-year whiskies. The Hakushu 12-year will stop production next month and the Hibiki 17-year will be unavailable to purchase after September. Suntory said the reason for halting production of the whiskies is because demand is much greater than supply and distillers aren’t able to produce enough of it.
“It will take quite a long time before we can restart sales of the products,” a Suntory representative told Nikkei Asian Review.
These two whiskies are the latest to fall victim to Japan’s shortage of spirits. The country has seen a boon in its whiskies and other spirits after getting global attention for its taste and distilling process. Suntory plans to continue investing in whisky production in Japan. The company will attempt to alleviate the shortage by promoting its premium whisky lines that are “non-aged.”
H/T: Quartz Media
Featured image by KAZUHIRO NOGI/AFP/Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees