James Bond fans can now buy an Aston Martin-themed helicopter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus Helicopters and famed British carmaker Aston Martin are joining forces to launch special-edition VIP helicopters, and they’ve just announced the first one: the ACH130 Aston Martin Edition. It’s a limited-edition version of a VIP helicopter aimed squarely at a small but lucrative market, with projected sales of just five per year.
The ACH130 is the VIP version of the H130, one of the European company’s workhorse helicopters. (“Airbus Corporate Helicopters,” just like the VIP versions of Airbus jetliners are sold as “ACJ,” for Airbus Corporate Jets.)
Airbus did not disclose the price of the new machine, but there are used H130s, without VIP interiors, currently for sale at prices around $3.3 million, so you can expect that a special-edition new one will cost significantly more. Even double that price would actually on the cheaper end for a VIP helicopter; the ACH130 is a single-engined “light helicopter,” while many VIP birds are twin-engined and fall into the “medium helicopter” category.
The head of Airbus Corporate Helicopters, Frédéric Lemos, said in a statement that the new chopper “is optimally positioned in the market for hands-on owners who draw satisfaction from personally piloting their aircraft, and it generates strong brand-loyalty” — so Aston Martin can expect people who buy the helicopter to also want a matching car. A DB11 coupe, for example, will set them back another $200,000, but well-heeled owners might want a few options, pushing the price closer to a quarter million.
Personally piloting the Aston Martin-themed ACH130 would after all be very much in keeping with the likely aspirations of someone who buys into the Aston Martin aesthetic; the cars are famed for their association with James Bond, and of course 007 does his own helicopter piloting.
The H130 is a versatile machine, the latest evolution of the French-made Aerospatiale AS350 helicopter familiar to sightseers over New York City, which also holds the world record for highest-altitude landing in a helicopter. It can be configured for one or two pilots and up to seven passengers, flies at up to 128 knots or almost 150 mph, and can stay in the air for 390 miles or up to 4 hours, although most trips will be far shorter. (Aston Martin cars are faster: a DB11 can surpass 200 mph, and most helicopters wouldn’t have a prayer of catching up.)
The Aston Martin special edition comes in four different color schemes, all of them featuring the Aston Martin wings embossed onto the leather feature throughout the cabin, according to an Airbus statement.
Buyers can have their name engraved on a plaque on the instrument panel, Airbus said. The ACH130 Aston Martin Edition is available for deliveries from the first quarter of 2020, according to its maker, which said it projects to sell about five a year – around one-quarter of all ACH130s made, according to FlightGlobal.
Featured image of an Airbus ACH130 courtesy of Airbus Helicopters
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.