Japan Airlines Joins American, Delta and Gol to Offer Gogo TV
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The past few weeks have been eventful for Gogo. The outfit best known for equipping aircraft with inflight Wi-Fi systems is also serving up live television with select partners. At the end of September, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Gol Linhas Aéreas went live with Gogo TV on certain planes. Starting later this month, Japan Airlines and its subsidiary Japan Transocean Air are offering live TV to its passengers through the same service.
Live IPTV is delivered through Gogo’s first generation Ku satellite system or Gogo 2Ku high-speed satellite connectivity system. Japan Airlines currently flies with Gogo Ku and Japan Transocean Air features Gogo 2Ku. Gogo TV delivers live television programming, including sports and news, with customized content in Japanese for its latest airline partners.
All told, five carriers with more than 635 aircraft are flying with Gogo TV. Content can be delivered to passengers’ Wi-Fi-enabled personal electronic devices or integrated into an airline’s seatback entertainment system, while channel options are customized by the airline.
Blane Boynton, SVP of Product Management at Gogo, said of the service: “Passengers expect live TV and video in the cabin with the consistency and quality they experience on their couches at home, but there are unique challenges to delivering new inflight TV and video products and services. Unlike legacy live TV systems with a dedicated TV antenna, Gogo’s satellite antennas supports both the fastest connectivity available to passengers and live TV.”
Featured image courtesy of Gogo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees