Italy Hopes to Lure Retirees to Sicily, Sardinia and Calabria With Massive Tax Break
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’d prefer to put your IRA toward limoncello and a charming Italian casa di campagna rather than taxes, you might be in luck. A new proposal from the League — Italy’s nationalist, far-right party — hopes to attract retirees to southern Italy for a decade of tax-free retirement.
“We’re trying to provide an incentive for the transfer of older people [toward the south],” Alberto Brambilla, economic advisor to deputy prime minister Matteo Salvini, told La Repubblica.
According to the Italian paper, both local as well as foreign pensioners will be eligible for the project, which aims to repopulate the rapidly declining southern regions of Sicily, Sardinia and Calabria.
If the scheme is ever realized, it would aim to welcome some 600,000 residents to southern Italy, which is experiencing rapid depopulation and severe unemployment. (La Repubblica reported that an estimated 60,000 retired Italian families have fled to destinations such as Panama, Mexico, Portugal and Cyprus — places where favorable rents will help them stretch their pensions.)
To qualify, retirees would be required to settle in villages and towns with a population that has declined by at least 20% in the last decade, and with fewer than 4,000 residents.
Brambilla said that Italy could expect to welcome those 600,000 new silver-haired inhabitants in as few as three or four years “as a result of the [tax] relief.” Each family could contribute up to €25,000 (nearly $30,000) a year to the local economy.
For those enticed by the promise of “total tax exemption for the first 10 years” of a dreamy retirement in Italy — not to mention Mediterranean views and pasta con le sarde — don’t rush to put your house on the market just yet. The proposal is far from becoming law.
If the League’s bold plan is ever realized, however, expats won’t have any trouble finding a place to call home. Last month, The Independent reported that abandoned stone homes in the Sicilian town of San Piero Patti were being exchanged for €1 (about $1.20), and the promise that the new homeowners would restore the property in the traditional fashion.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees