Italy’s new national carrier ITA Airways is now part of SkyTeam alliance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
ITA Airways today made official what almost everyone knew was coming: It has become a member of the global SkyTeam airline alliance. Italy’s new flagship airline fills the SkyTeam spot previously held by Alitalia, the Italian carrier ITA replaced.
ITA launched operations on Oct. 15 and made its intentions to join SkyTeam known at the time. ITA, which is short for Italia Transporto Aereo, is a more streamlined version of Alitalia. That airline folded earlier this year after years of financial troubles. Alitalia had been in bankruptcy since 2017 and, as TPG reported, was nationalized by the government in 2020.
Want more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
SkyTeam is one of the top global airline alliances, which includes such airlines as Aeroflot, Air France, China Eastern, Delta Air Lines, KLM, Korean Air, Vietnam Airlines and others.
Frequent flyers will be watching to see how ITA Airways joining SkyTeam affects the ITA Volare program’s status match campaign. However, SkyTeam is not known to have the same perks as compared to Oneworld and Star Alliance.
“For more than 20 years, the Italian market has been a cornerstone of SkyTeam’s European network and no other airline alliance connects Italy better to the world,” SkyTeam chairman Walter Cho said, according to Business Traveller. “We warmly welcome ITA Airways’ decision to join our alliance and ensure continuity of service for the millions of customers who choose SkyTeam as their preferred alliance to Italy.
Also, it was confirmed that members of Alitalia’s Mille Miglia frequent flyer program will be able to earn and redeem miles on selected SkyTeam alliance members’ flights.
ITA Airways previously announced that its new loyalty program, Volare, was launching a status-match initiative from 24 different loyalty programs (including Mille Miglia).
Featured image courtesy of ITA – Italia Trasporto Aereo.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees