Boost for Boeing: European airline giant firms up 737 MAX order
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It took nearly three years, but the International Airlines Group is finally moving forward on its order for the Boeing 737 MAX.
The parent company of British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling and Level announced Thursday it will purchase 50 737 MAX 10s and 737 MAX 8-200s, along with 100 options. It’s a significantly smaller order than what was announced at the 2019 Paris Air Show, when a letter of intent was signed for 200 of the aircraft.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter.
That announcement was a show-stopping blockbuster: it was the first order for the troubled aircraft after its grounding in the wake of two accidents that killed 346 people, and showed the industry that there was still an appetite for the aircraft, albeit at what was likely the deepest of discounts.
The order is also notable because IAG’s airlines operate all-Airbus narrowbody fleets.
Thursday’s announcement did not state which of IAG’s airlines will receive the new 737s. The original 2019 announcement stated that the jets would go to its low-cost brands Level and Vueling. However in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, Level has focused on long-haul flying. The order for the 737 MAX 8-200 — a 200-seat version of the 737 MAX 8 that’s specifically tailored to LCCs — makes it seem likely that Vueling will receive these aircraft.
“The addition of new Boeing 737s is an important part of IAG’s short-haul fleet renewal,” IAG CEO Luis Gallego said in a statement. “These latest generation aircraft are more fuel efficient than those they will replace and in line with our commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050.”
“Today’s agreement for up to 150 airplanes, including 100 options, is a welcome addition of the 737 to IAG’s short-haul fleets and reflects our commitment to support the Group’s continued network recovery and future growth with Boeing’s unrivaled family of airplanes,” Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Stan Deal said in a statement.
In a somewhat unusual move for an aircraft order, this deal will now go to IAG’s shareholders for approval.
Featured photo by Chona Kasinger/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees