The InterContinental LA Downtown Now Tacking on a $25 ‘Facility Fee’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Resort fees can be a real shock at the end of the booking process when picking a hotel. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like they’re going anywhere any time soon. If anything, they are getting worse. The latest to add an additional charge — in this case an extra $25 plus tax — is the InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown.
Resort Fees, Facility Fees or Amenity fees are a standard additional charge tacked on to your per-night rate, and unfortunately more and more hotels are adding these fees when booking stays. In the fine print, hotels often say these fees cover things like gym access, pool access & towels, Wi-Fi, local phone calls and even things like in-room coffee — a list of items that most people would think should be included with their stay at a full-service hotel.
In the InterContinental LA Downtown’s case, that $25 fee is said to cover access to Attitude Fitness (gym), Spire 73 (the hotel’s rooftop bar), Wi-Fi, local phone calls, digital newspaper and luggage storage for up to 24 hours. No matter what a property says it might cover, having to pay an extra fee on top of your nightly rate for a stay at a hotel or resort can catch you off guard when you get ready to book a stay.
If you’re looking to avoid resort fees or whatever your hotel might be calling them, there are some options. To find out more, check out our guide to avoiding resort fees. Then, check out these eight properties that don’t charge resort fees.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.