InterContinental Launches Status Extension for Ambassadors Experiencing a Life Event
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From welcoming a new baby to dealing with a family emergency, sometimes life can get in the way of travel. Airlines and hotels are starting to recognize that some of their most valuable and loyal members can be sidelined from travel for a time period, but they don’t want to have to start over from the bottom elite tier level when they resume their normal travel patterns.
A small but increasing number of travel providers are allowing elite members to pause their status when a qualifying life event occurs. And now, InterContinental Ambassador is joining the movement.
Starting today, August 14, InterContinental Ambassador members can apply for up to a six-month extension of their annual membership when their travel plans are interrupted. This once-per-lifetime exception is available to members experiencing a life event — whether it’s starting a new job or welcoming a baby.
Members that are in at least their second consecutive InterContinental Ambassador membership year are eligible for the full six-month extension. The terms indicate that if you signed up on July 1, 2018 and renewed by July 1, 2019, you’d be eligible to apply for this full extension. Otherwise, members will only be granted a two-month extension. In addition, if your membership has already expired, no extension is allowed. And once the extension is applied to your account, that action is considered final and not reversible.
To apply for the extension, head to this landing page to submit a request.
Unlike other elite status programs that require a certain number of stays or miles, it’s easy enough to sign up for InterContinental Ambassador at the end of your life event. So, it’s not as critical that the program offers a date extension like this. So, it’s a nice gesture that InterContinental Ambassador is adding this — especially considering the program can pay off in just one or two stays.
If you’re unfamiliar with the InterContinental Ambassador program, its the paid elite status program of the InterContinental Hotels and Resorts brand of IHG. For $200 or 40,000 IHG Rewards points per year, you’ll get guaranteed perks when staying at InterContinental hotels, including guaranteed room upgrades, a weekend free night, 4pm checkout, IHG Platinum Elite status and a $20 food and beverage credit per stay.
The weekend free night alone can justify signing up. For example, I signed up for the program ahead of my trip to Fiji in June and saved $286 off of the cheapest available rate by utilizing the weekend free night at the InterContinental Fiji. Since then, I have gotten even more value out of my membership by scoring upgrades at other InterContinental hotels.
Featured image courtesy of InterContinental Bangkok
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees