Instagram brings smartphone experience to the desktop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like TPG founder and CEO Brian Kelly, Mommy Points and the contributors to our main brand page, I love sharing my adventures on Instagram and seeing where your travels have taken you. The problem is I spend much of my time away from my smartphone, creating lengthy gaps where I am away from Instagram throughout the day.
Recently, Instagram has begun letting users access more features from their computer desktops. Earlier this month, the platform enabled direct messages from the web, and now, via web browser Opera, users of Opera 68 (the latest version) can access almost all Instagram features directly from a dedicated browser tab.
While I’ve long been a Google Chrome and Safari user, I’ve now begun using Opera, specifically because of the easily accessible Instagram tab. Click it and Instagram appears instantly, with full access to your feed, Stories and even Instagram Live. The browser also integrates Instagram Messenger, WhatsApp and has other traveler-friendly features, like instant access to a VPN.
Notably, when it comes to Instagram, you can only view content from the browser — you’ll need to return to the app to post and share live video — but you can chat via direct messages, just as you can with many other browsers.
And of course, as you’re setting up your web experience, be sure to follow @thepointsguy for loads of great travel content, Instagram Live chats and a whole lot more.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.