Instagram brings smartphone experience to the desktop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like TPG founder and CEO Brian Kelly, Mommy Points and the contributors to our main brand page, I love sharing my adventures on Instagram and seeing where your travels have taken you. The problem is I spend much of my time away from my smartphone, creating lengthy gaps where I am away from Instagram throughout the day.
Recently, Instagram has begun letting users access more features from their computer desktops. Earlier this month, the platform enabled direct messages from the web, and now, via web browser Opera, users of Opera 68 (the latest version) can access almost all Instagram features directly from a dedicated browser tab.
While I’ve long been a Google Chrome and Safari user, I’ve now begun using Opera, specifically because of the easily accessible Instagram tab. Click it and Instagram appears instantly, with full access to your feed, Stories and even Instagram Live. The browser also integrates Instagram Messenger, WhatsApp and has other traveler-friendly features, like instant access to a VPN.
Notably, when it comes to Instagram, you can only view content from the browser — you’ll need to return to the app to post and share live video — but you can chat via direct messages, just as you can with many other browsers.
And of course, as you’re setting up your web experience, be sure to follow @thepointsguy for loads of great travel content, Instagram Live chats and a whole lot more.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees