IHG Updates Award Pricing for 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG, which doesn’t use categories like you find with other reward programs, has released its annual update to its award chart for 2019. Points required to book rewards are set on an annual basis based on a range of factors for each property, which include average daily rate and occupancy. This year, around 700 properties have had a change to their award pricing level. With IHG having around 5,000 properties worldwide, this represents a change at about 14% of the portfolio.
While the majority of these changes reflect increases in award pricing, around 18% of the properties are seeing a reduction in award price per night. In other good news, the top tier pricing has remained at 70,000 per night, and no properties were moved into that top tier. Even with these latest changes, there are still a number of properties where you can stay with as little as 10,000 points per night. No individual property saw an increase or decrease of more than 5,000 points per night with the current updated chart.
These new levels will take effect on Jan. 25 and are based on when you book, not the actual date of your stay. So, if you have travel planned, booking before that date could save you points. Or, if you are booking at a property that is decreasing, it’s worth waiting a few days before you make your award reservation. You can see a listing of all of the changes to the award chart here.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured Photo courtesy InterContinental Thalasso Bora Bora
This post has been updated since publishing to reference the delayed implementation of the award category changes to January 25, 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees