IHG Updates Award Pricing for 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG, which doesn’t use categories like you find with other reward programs, has released its annual update to its award chart for 2019. Points required to book rewards are set on an annual basis based on a range of factors for each property, which include average daily rate and occupancy. This year, around 700 properties have had a change to their award pricing level. With IHG having around 5,000 properties worldwide, this represents a change at about 14% of the portfolio.
While the majority of these changes reflect increases in award pricing, around 18% of the properties are seeing a reduction in award price per night. In other good news, the top tier pricing has remained at 70,000 per night, and no properties were moved into that top tier. Even with these latest changes, there are still a number of properties where you can stay with as little as 10,000 points per night. No individual property saw an increase or decrease of more than 5,000 points per night with the current updated chart.
These new levels will take effect on Jan. 25 and are based on when you book, not the actual date of your stay. So, if you have travel planned, booking before that date could save you points. Or, if you are booking at a property that is decreasing, it’s worth waiting a few days before you make your award reservation. You can see a listing of all of the changes to the award chart here.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured Photo courtesy InterContinental Thalasso Bora Bora
This post has been updated since publishing to reference the delayed implementation of the award category changes to January 25, 2019.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.