This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
IHG, which doesn’t use categories like you find with other reward programs, has released its annual update to its award chart for 2019. Points required to book rewards are set on an annual basis based on a range of factors for each property, which include average daily rate and occupancy. This year, around 700 properties have had a change to their award pricing level. With IHG having around 5,000 properties worldwide, this represents a change at about 14% of the portfolio.
While the majority of these changes reflect increases in award pricing, around 18% of the properties are seeing a reduction in award price per night. In other good news, the top tier pricing has remained at 70,000 per night, and no properties were moved into that top tier. Even with these latest changes, there are still a number of properties where you can stay with as little as 10,000 points per night. No individual property saw an increase or decrease of more than 5,000 points per night with the current updated chart.
These new levels will take effect on Jan. 25 and are based on when you book, not the actual date of your stay. So, if you have travel planned, booking before that date could save you points. Or, if you are booking at a property that is decreasing, it’s worth waiting a few days before you make your award reservation. You can see a listing of all of the changes to the award chart here.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Featured Photo courtesy InterContinental Thalasso Bora Bora
This post has been updated since publishing to reference the delayed implementation of the award category changes to January 25, 2019.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees