New IHG Anniversary Award Night List of Excluded Properties
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier today I wrote about the (horrific) changes coming to the IHG credit card anniversary award night. There is no delicate way to dance around what happens to the IHG anniversary night beginning with those issued on May 1, 2018, and onwards…the value of the award nights is being decimated based on the letter mailed to existing cardmembers. The IHG credit card anniversary award night will go from being a nearly unrestricted certificate you can use at any IHG (or Kimpton) property around the world, to only being worth a stay at a property that costs up to 40,000 IHG points per night. The IHG award chart currently goes as high as 70,000 points per night, so that means there are many nicer properties in aspirational locations that cost between 40,000 and 70,000 points per night that will no longer be on the table when using this award night.
IHG Anniversary Award Night List of Excluded Properties
When I first shared that information, I didn’t yet have a link to a list of excluded properties, but you can access a list of IHG properties where you cannot use the anniversary award nights here.
What is very confusing about this excluded list is that while it says the properties as a result of requiring more than 40,000 points per night, that is not actually always the case. For example, the Intercontinental Prague and Intercontinental Kansas City are both on the list of excluded properties, and yet both cost right at 40,000 points per night.
I have tweeted and emailed IHG to understand if this is intentional, and a property can indeed be excluded from the credit card anniversary night despite being at or below the stated 40,000 points per night threshold.
To be clear, it may still be worth holding onto the IHG card with a $49 annual fee since many 40,000 points per night hotels cost much more than that with cash, but the value of this anniversary award night will be nowhere close to what it used to be – especially if IHG properties can be excluded despite being at or below the 40,000 point threshold.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
- Earn 150,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®