Hyatt’s New Partnership May Open More Hotels in China to Award Bookings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hyatt announced this morning that it will be forming a strategic joint venture with a major hotel group in China — potentially expanding the World of Hyatt loyalty program’s footprint by thousands of properties in Asia over the coming years.
Hyatt and Homeinns, a Chinese hotel chain, will create a new hospitality brand in China that is aimed at younger travelers in the upper-midscale segment. It describes the travel experiences that the new hotel will provide as “premium,” so it’s likely these properties will be higher-end than the current Homeinns’ mid-tier economy offering.
“All of our brands are positioned at the high end of every segment in which they operate, and this joint venture will be no different,” said Stephen Ho, president of Greater China, global operations, Hyatt in a release.
BTG Hotels owns Homeinns, which is a large economy hotel brand in China itself — the conglomerate owns and operates more than 3,900 hotels in 400 cities under the Homeinn banner and through additional brands like Yitel Premium.
Hyatt has a much smaller, but still significant footprint in China with 70 hotels currently in operation and another 100 plus in the pipeline, and this partnership could potentially lead to more Hyatt branded hotels in the longterm. However this new, still unnamed hotel, will not include the Hyatt name in its brand.
“Hyatt is committed to a long-term strategy of purposeful growth in the region,” said Ho. “This collaboration is expected to provide Hyatt with deep China insights, build brand awareness and grow loyalty with a new set of travelers.”
Hyatt and BTG plan on opening hotels under the new brand in large gateway cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and others in the next five years.
This is Hyatt’s second strategic partnership announced in recent months, after a deal with the Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) was made allowing travelers to earn and redeem Hyatt points at more than 500 SLH hotels around the world. The hotel chain is planning on other expansions to the brand including a goal to double its hotel footprint in Africa by 2020.
The move brings up questions surrounding award opportunities at the Chinese properties. Will travelers be able to earn and redeem Hyatt points and enjoy elite benefits at this new brand? Will the partnership spread to other BTG properties?
We’ve reached out to Hyatt for comment on these questions but have yet to hear back by time of publication.
Featured image of the Park Hyatt Beijing by Katie Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees