How to Get A Free (or Almost Free) Stopover in the Middle East
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Why not see two cities for the price of one?
Some of the most popular Middle Eastern airlines are offering temporary promotions letting travellers build a stopover into their travel itinerary. Not only does this allow you a little extra breathing time between some long-haul flights and a chance to visit a new place; the airline will foot some (or all) of the hotel bill.
Check out the promo offers below to see if you can fit a stopover into your trip.
In hopes of encouraging visitors to spend some time in its Abu Dhabi hub, Etihad is offering a complimentary hotel on two-night stopovers through March 31, 2020 (travel must be booked by March 1, 2020). A choice of 20 different hotels is offered — and some are pretty solid, like the Grand Hyatt Abu Dhabi, the Ritz-Carlton Grand Canal, the InterContinental Abu Dhabi and Le Meridien Abu Dhabi.
Here’s how to get the deal:
- Book your multi-city flight on etihad.com.
- Then, select your favorite hotel from the list and be prepared to enter your booking reference. Although you’ll have to enter your credit card, you won’t be charged unless you don’t show up.
- Once you’re done, Etihad will email you a hotel voucher. While it’s unclear yet if you’ll be able to earn points on your stay, it’s definitely worth adding your loyalty number upon arrival.
Unfortunately, the offer isn’t valid for frequent-flyer redemption bookings, award upgrades or cash-plus-miles promotions. Make sure to check blackout dates and other regulations here.
Qatar offers serious discounts for booking a four-night stopover in Doha, only charging minimal booking fees for stays at four- and five-star properties if you book by December 28, 2019 and stay by December 31, 2019. Rates are as follows:
- One night: $23
- Two Nights: $86
- Three Nights: $125
- Four nights: $165
- One night: $28
- Two Nights: $110
- Three Nights: $160
- Four nights: $210
Here’s how to get the deal:
1. Book on qatarairways.com using the multi-city option, adding a stop in Doha.
2. Make sure the minimum transit time gives you at least 12 hours in Doha.
3. Once your booking is finished, you’ll see the available stopover offers on the booking confirmation page, where you can choose your preferred offer.
Oman Air’s offer is a little bit different. Booking a two- or three-night stopover gets you the first night free in a selection of three, four and five star hotels in Muscat. Prices for each of the participating hotels, as well as dates when the promotions expire (it’s different for each property) are clearly stated here.
For example, a two-night stay at three-star property Tulip Inn Down Town Muscat is $63 and a three-night stay is $115 (including complimentary airport transfers) through December 31, 2019.
Business and first class passengers can take advantage of a special offer for one complimentary night at Ritz-Carlton Al Bustan Palace through September 30, 2019.
While Royal Jordanian’s stopover policy is quite vague, it may be possible for you to get one night free at a hotel (as well as meals and ground transportation) in Amman. However, the following conditions must be met:
- The stopover must be more than eight hours
- Same-day connections must not be available
If your flight meets these conditions, contact your nearest Royal Jordanian office to see if the service is available for your situation.
Unfortunately, Emirates isn’t running any stopover promotions at the moment, but it is possible to book a stopover in Dubai at an added cost, and the airline will help you organize your trip. If you’d like to do this, use the Advanced Search option on emirates.com. Then, you’ll have to contact your local Emirates office for assistance in booking a stopover package, which you can curate to include things like hotel, transport, meals, visa arrangements and tourism activities (all at an added cost).
Featured image (the city of Doha, Qatar, from a Qatar Airways A350) by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees