How every passenger on this Delta flight scored a first-class upgrade
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What are some ways to fly first class on Delta? You could purchase a ticket the conventional way, or upgrade yourself using points, mileage upgrades or certificates. Elite travelers may get a complimentary upgrade, although it’s getting harder these days. You could even get lucky and end up in Delta first class on a $19 rebooking through Freebird.
Then there’s another route, which is what happened Wednesday for nine travelers departing Atlanta (ATL) to Orlando (MCO).
Flight 1013 was scheduled to take off at 8 a.m. Eastern time, but weather-related delays held the plane in Atlanta for more than seven hours. Most of the original travelers had been rebooked onto other flights by that time, but the flight still departed ATL at 3:15 p.m., since Delta rarely cancels flights outright.
Twitter user Coining203 missed a previous connection due to weather, and noticed Flight 1013 had been delayed since the morning. Since DL1013’s new departure time fit well into his schedule, he asked Delta if he could switch to that flight instead. Thus, he ended up being the first — and for a time, the only — traveler to board the plane.
“This has never happened to me and it’s awesome,” he said on Twitter.
Unfortunately, his solo flight experience didn’t last: eventually, eight other travelers boarded the plane before departure. But it was a very relaxed group, Coining203 said, with travelers snapping photos and taking selfies with the crew.
Not secondarily: all of them were upgraded to first, even those who were not high-level Delta elites. With just nine passengers, there was room to spare up front.
A Delta Diamond Medallion Member, Coining203 usually receives automatic upgrades to first class. But for this flight, he specifically requested the upgrade just in case, because he didn’t know how many other people would be traveling on the flight with him.Wednesday’s 90-minute flight to Orlando was one of his favorite premium flights.
“I’ve done Etihad business, KLM business, Air France business, Delta One,” Coining203 said in an interview with travel blog RenesPoints, “but nothing like this.” Of all the flights he’s taken in his life, he told the site, Flight 1013 was the best. “I’ve flown into Iraq using flyDubai and those were some wild commercial flights, but this beats everything.”
A lesson from the flight: even for people in first class, economy may be more comfortable — if there’s no one in it. “At one point, I grabbed an entire economy row and took a 15-minute power nap,” Coining203 said in the interview.
Delta confirmed to TPG that Flight 1013 was delayed due to a maintenance issue on a previous leg, and the bulk of the customers were rebooked on earlier flights that day.
Featured photo by The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees