How to Avoid Hotels.com’s New Nightly Fee on Award Redemptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hotels.com, a popular online travel agency with a lucrative loyalty program, is making a negative change to its free night rewards.
Beginning Nov. 27, 2019, Hotels.com will charge a $5 redemption fee per reward night redeemed through the website. However, no redemption fee will be charged on reward nights redeemed through the Hotels.com app.
The company announced the news via email to Hotels.com customers, stating that the change was made to help cover costs associated with the rewards program.
As a refresher, Hotels.com offers customers one reward night for every ten nights booked and completed via Hotels.com. The maximum value of the reward night averages the daily rate of the 10 paid nights, and does not include taxes and fees. Essentially, you’re getting 10% back on the combined total of the 10 nights you stayed.
This news is a disappointment for Hotels.com customers, especially since this move seems to be nothing more than a concerted effort to move travelers toward utilizing the app more heavily. That being said, Hotels.com can still make a lot of sense for many people, especially travelers who don’t pursue hotel chain loyalty enough to benefit from holding elite status.
Featured Photo courtesy of Ambrosia Key West.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.