Hong Kong Airlines Suspends Service to San Francisco
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hong Kong Airlines has announced it will suspend service between Hong Kong (HKG) and San Francisco (SFO) starting October 5, 2019. The struggling airline says it made the decision after a review of its network and business in the United States.
As we reported in June of this year, the airline has had problems with high-profile executives leaving or being forced out of the company struggling for control of the boardroom and questions over ownership ensued. The issues have caused the airline’s auditor to resign. More recently, the airline has even suffered delays due to parts falling off aircraft.
With financial issues plaguing the airline, it’s reportedly looking to reduce its fleet by more than 25 percent to cut costs. So, it should be no surprise that Hong Kong Airlines has reduced its flight schedule. Unfortunately for US travelers, the airline’s routes to San Francisco (SFO) haven’t been spared.
The final flights will take place on October 4, 2019. Flight HX060 will depart HKG for SFO followed by a return trip operated as flight HX061.
For passengers that may have booked flights on Hong Kong Airlines from SFO after October 5, 2019, the airline is offering a number of options to help with your travel plans:
- Free change of travel date for flights between Hong Kong and San Francisco before 5 October 2019
- Full refund of unused sectors to passengers who will travel on or after 5 October 2019 and wish to cancel their trips
- Free change to any destination operated by Hong Kong Airlines (applicable fare and taxes difference may apply)
- Free transfer to other partner carriers to be arranged by Hong Kong Airlines (subject to seat availability)
Airlines changing routes and service isn’t uncommon, but if your travel plans have been impacted be sure to contact the airline and take advantage of the offer to rebook or refund your tickets. Situations like this are also why its always best to book your travel with a credit card that offers travel protection.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees