Hilton Honors cuts status match requirements in half for 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In addition to cutting its usual qualification requirements in half, Hilton has also reduced its status match requirements. While this may not come in handy for everyone in the immediate future, it’s worth keeping in mind for when travel returns to normal.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Hilton Honors status match program
Like many hotel brands, Hilton offers status match opportunities for elites in other hotel loyalty programs. This means if you have elite status with another program, you can receive complimentary Hilton Honors elite status.
Anyone eligible for a status match will be matched to Gold status for 90 days. While you can’t get an instant match to top-tier Diamond, you can still fast-track it.
Here are the challenges you can complete during your 90-day trial period to either extend your Gold status or upgrade to Diamond:
- Gold: Stay 5 nights to keep Gold through Mar. 31, 2023
- Diamond: Stay 9 nights to be upgraded to Diamond through Mar. 31, 2023
These requirements are half of what Hilton required in the past. Previously, you needed to stay 10 nights or 18 nights to extend your Gold or Diamond status (respectively).
You can submit a status match through this link. You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Hilton Honors account number
- Hotel loyalty program status you want Hilton Honors to match
- Current status level with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Proof of status with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Screenshot of your current account status or your current and active membership card
- Proof of stay in the last 12 months with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Screenshot of your previous reservations or hotel receipt, redacting any personal information other than your name and membership number
Hilton doesn’t publish which statuses from other programs are eligible for a match. Based on TPGreader reports, statuses like Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond and Best Western Diamond should match to Gold.
Gold status is normally earned after 20 stays, 40 nights or by earning 75,000 Base Points in a calendar year (which equates to $7,500 in spending). Likewise, Diamond status is typically earned after 30 stays, 60 nights or by earning 120,000 base points in a calendar year (which equates to $12,000 in spending). However, as previously mentioned, these requirements have been cut in half for 2021.
Gold status includes perks like bonus points, room upgrades and complimentary breakfast. Meanwhile, Diamond includes a few more perks like upgrades to suites and guaranteed Executive Lounge access. Assuming you end up staying at Hilton enough to earn your status level through stays, nights or base points, TPG values Honors Gold status at $1,255 and Honors Diamond status at $3,025.
While there’s substantial value to be found with this status match, there are several ways to get status without completing any nights at all. Hilton Gold status comes as an automatic benefit of the following credit cards:
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
Want Diamond status? It comes as an automatic benefit on the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
If you need help deciding which Hilton card is best for you, check out this guide.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
It’s great to see that Hilton has not only extended its status match program but also reduced its requirements. Being able to effectively earn two years of top-tier Diamond status in just nine nights is terrific. The only major thing to keep in mind is that you must provide proof of stay in the last 12 months with the program you’re matching from, which could be tough given the pandemic.
One final note: If you’re looking to status match and begin a challenge shortly before a trip or set of stays, don’t wait until the last minute. Hilton’s website says to allow five to seven business days for a response. Some TPG readers have noted that previous versions of this status match and challenge required multiple submissions of additional information or different file formats before their new status took effect.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
This card offers 130,000 points after you spend $2,000 in purchases in the first three months of card membership. Plus, you earn an additional 50,000 Points after spending a total of $10,000 in purchases on the card in the first six months.
- Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, you can earn an additional 50,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend a total of $10,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 on purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio.
- Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees