Hilton Honors extends elite status match program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Hilton announced it would be extending elite status and point expiration dates due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Now, Hilton has also extended its status match program. While this may not come in handy in the next few months while travel is extremely limited, it’s worth keeping in mind for when the world returns to normal.
Like many hotel brands, Hilton offers status match opportunities for elites in other hotel loyalty programs. This means if you have elite status with another program, you can receive complimentary Hilton Honors elite status. Hilton has long been quite generous with this, allowing you to instantly match up to top-tier Diamond status, but that was changed in August 2019.
Many other hotel loyalty programs are offering elite status extensions due to COVID-9, so it’s possible you can parlay that status into Hilton status through this program when it’s once again safe to travel.
Anyone eligible for a status match will be matched to Gold status for 90 days. Previously, if you had upper or top-tier status with another program — like IHG Platinum or Marriott Platinum — you’d be matched to Diamond. That’s no longer the case.
Despite no longer getting an instant match to Diamond, you can still fast-track it. Here are the challenges you can complete during your 90-day trial period to either extend your Gold status or upgrade to Diamond:
- Gold: Stay 10 nights to keep Gold through March 31, 2022
- Diamond: Stay 18 nights to be upgraded to Diamond through March 31, 2022
Note that the old version of Hilton’s status match (pre-August 2019) only required four stays or eight stays to extend your Gold or Diamond status (respectively), as opposed to nights. If you’re a traveler who typically only stays 1-2 nights per stay, this is a definite devaluation, though members with longer stays might actually benefit from using nights instead of stays as the metric for qualification.
You can submit a status match through this link. You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Hilton Honors account number
- Hotel loyalty program you want Hilton Honors to match
- Current status with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Proof of status with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Screenshot of your current account status or your current and active membership card
- Proof of stay in the last 12 months with the hotel loyalty program you want to match
- Screenshot of your previous reservations or hotel receipt, redacting any personal information other than your name and membership number
Hilton doesn’t publish which statuses from other programs are eligible for a match, but based on TPG reader reports, statuses like Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond and Best Western Diamond should match to Gold.
Gold status is typically earned after 20 stays, 40 nights or by earning 75,000 Base Points in a calendar year (which equates to $7,500 in spending). Likewise, Diamond status is typically earned after 30 stays, 60 nights or by earning 120,000 base points in a calendar year (which equates to $12,000 in spending). Gold status includes perks like bonus points, room upgrades and complimentary breakfast, meanwhile Diamond includes a few more perks like upgrades to suites and guaranteed Executive Lounge access. Assuming you end up staying at Hilton enough to earn your status level though stays, nights or Base Points, TPG values Honors Gold status at $1,260 and Honors Diamond status at $3,025.
While there’s substantial value to be found with this status match, there are several ways to get status without completing any nights at all. Hilton Gold status comes as an automatic benefit of the following credit cards:
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
Want Diamond status? It comes as an automatic benefit on the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express.
If you need help deciding which Hilton card is best for you, check out this guide.
One final note: If you’re looking to status match and begin a challenge shortly before a trip or set of stays, don’t wait until the last minute. Hilton’s website says to allow five to seven business days for a response, but some TPG readers have noted that previous versions of this status match and challenge required multiple submissions of additional information or different file formats before their new status took effect.
While many travelers likely won’t be using this status match program in the coming months, it’s great to see that Hilton has extended the program along with elite status and points expiration for current Hilton Honors members amid the ongoing world health crisis.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
This card offers 130,000 bonus points after you use your card to make $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn a one-time $100 statement credit after using your new Card to purchase an Expert Flyer Premium annual subscription ($99.99 plus applicable taxes, followed by automatic renewal) within your first year. Terms apply.
- Earn 130,000 Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn a one-time $100 statement credit after using your new Card to purchase an Expert Flyer Premium annual subscription ($99.99 plus applicable taxes, followed by automatic renewal) within your first year.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 on purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- $95 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees