Heathrow Airport Is Auctioning off the Entire Contents of Terminal 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the market for a luggage carousel or an airport check-in desk for your living room? Well you’re in luck. London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) is auctioning off all of the entire contents from the airport’s old Terminal 1, which closed in June 2015 to make room for the expansion of Terminal 2.
More than 4,000 airport seats, 110 check-in desks, 15 escalators, 11 luggage reclaim carousels, as well as paintings from the 1950s, airport signage, Heathrow memorabilia and other equipment like security cameras and metal detector gates will go under the hammer during the auction on April 21.
Some of the items up for bid are clearly for more industrial buyers like new airports or other large public venues, but there are ample items for aviation enthusiasts looking to own a piece of history.
“We anticipate a broad range of interest,” Daniel Gray, a managing partner at CA Global Partners, the firm handling the selloff, told Sky News. “Some of the contents have significant historic value, and there may even be elements of the furnishing that would appeal to nightclubs or other entertainment venues. Some of the signage in Terminal One is iconic and bound to attract interest from collectors.”
The unprecedented selloff will be held “overlooking The Heathrow Runway in the Aviation Suite at the Thistle London Heathrow Terminal 5 Hotel,” according to CA Global Partners’ website. The auction will also be webcast live when it begins at 11am local time on April 21. Interested bidders can register for the auction now.
Heathrow’s Terminal 1 first opened in 1968 and was later formally opened by Queen Elizabeth II in April 1969. When it opened, the terminal was the biggest short-haul terminal in Western Europe.
All images by CA Global Partners.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees