Heathrow passengers face long queues as more than 100 staffers told to self-isolate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers departing from Heathrow’s Terminal 5 on Monday experienced longer-than-usual queues to get through the airport. The reason? A largely short-staffed airport.
Heathrow Airport said that more than 100 of its staff were instructed to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace app. The isolating staff are believed to have been the reason behind the massive queues ahead of security.
The self-isolating staff did not involve Border Force officers, and only Terminal 5 was affected by the disruption.
Social media took off with stories and pictures from passengers who experienced massive queues and limited social distancing. One passenger described the scenes from inside Terminal 5 as “total chaos.”
“Earlier today, we experienced some passenger congestion in Terminal 5 departures, due to colleagues being instructed to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace,” a Heathrow spokesperson said in a statement. “We have activated additional team members to assist passengers with their journeys and the operation has now returned to normal. We apologise to our passengers for any inconvenience caused.”
Following the activation of more staff to security at Heathrow on Tuesday morning, there appear to be fewer complaints across social media.
In recent months, there’s been increasing pressure on Heathrow to better staff the airport. At times, there have been queues of more than eight hours at immigration, due to the U.K.’s complicated entry restrictions and the requirements for Border Force to check testing and quarantine plans for passengers.
Since last month, Heathrow has reopened Terminal 3 for its dedicated red list terminal, meaning passengers arriving from any of the 56 red list countries will enter through the terminal and proceed to hotel quarantine. That operation will eventually move to Terminal 4 once Virgin Atlantic and Delta resume operations from Terminal 3 this week.
As of 19 July, ambers arrivals who have been fully vaccinated in the U.K. no longer need to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival in England. Note that as of launch, it only applies to travellers who have received both doses of a vaccine in the U.K. Passengers will still be required to have a pre-departure negative test, as well as take a PCR test within two days of arrival.
“While it’s fantastic news that some double-vaccinated passengers will no longer need to quarantine from amber countries, ministers need to extend this policy to US and EU nationals if they want to kickstart the economic recovery,” Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye said.
Featured photo by Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees