You can now redeem your HawaiianMiles for TSA PreCheck
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re sitting on some HawaiianMiles, here is an opportunity to make your airport experience significantly better. Hawaiian Airlines just came out with a promotion where you can redeem 10,000 miles in exchange for TSA PreCheck. This is a limited-time promotion valid through Dec. 20, 2019.
TSA PreCheck allows you to go through the specially designated TSA PreCheck lanes at many airports throughout the U.S. The benefits include less wait times, not having to take off your shoes and being able to keep your laptop or tablet in your carry-on luggage. Once approved, you’ll have TSA PreCheck for five years. Note: Children ages 12 and younger do not need TSA PreCheck and are able to go through the special lanes when traveling with a parent or guardian with TSA PreCheck.
Related: 5 reasons to get TSA PreCheck
TSA PreCheck typically costs $85 thus giving you just a 0.85 cents per point value on this particular redemption. Since TPG values HawaiianMiles at 0.9 cents per point, this is a slightly less than ideal redemption, although not horrible. For the most part, when an airline loyalty program offers an opportunity to redeem your miles for anything other than flying, you will not see the best value.
With so many credit cards these days offering Global Entry and TSA PreCheck reimbursement as a benefit, there are many other ways to earn this valuable travel experience without having to redeem your hard-earned miles. Additionally, many of these credit cards will actually reimburse Global Entry (which costs $100/person) and once approved you’ll automatically inherit TSA PreCheck. For traveling internationally, which even includes many of the Caribbean islands, Global Entry will significantly cut your wait time for getting back into the United States.
Credit cards that offer Global Entry and TSA PreCheck reimbursement (up to $100):
- Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card ($95 annual fee) — credit every four years
- United Explorer Card ($95 annual fee, waived the first year) — credit every four years
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card ($89 annual fee, waived for the first year) — credit every four years
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card ($95 annual fee) — credit every four years
- Chase Sapphire Reserve ($550 annual fee) — credit every four years
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($695 annual fee see rates & fees) — credit every four to four and half years for the primary card and each Platinum authorized-user card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® ($450 annual fee) — credit every five years
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card ($450 annual fee see rates & fees) — credit every four years
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card ($199 annual fee) — credit every four years
- Citi Prestige® Card ($495 annual fee) — credit every five years
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
One of my favorites on the list is the United Explorer Card due to the annual fee being waived the first year (the card has an annual fee of $95/year). It used to be that Global Entry and TSA PreCheck reimbursement were only included benefits of the more premium credit cards but over the past year, we’ve started to see it being offered on many lower annual fee cards as well.
Although this deal is only available for a limited time, you might want to think twice before actually redeeming your miles. Our recommendation is to only take advantage of this offer if you are maxed out on the above credit card reimbursements or have orphaned HawaiianMiles that you are probably not going to use.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees