Grand Central Terminal Replaces Old-School Train Information Boards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Grand Central’s historic terminal is losing a little of its Old World charm.
The iconic train station’s schedule information boards, which show the times and platforms for all departing trains, are going completely digital. The current boards are LCD screens designed to look like the flipboards of a bygone era. But even those screens are further digitizing.
On Monday, officials unveiled the first digital screen. The new track schedules are part of New York’s Metro-North “Way Ahead” initiative, according to WABC. The initiative is a push to keep the trains modern for the growing number of riders on Metro-North, which operates trains to upstate New York.
— Metro-North Railroad (@MetroNorth) April 29, 2019
Here you can see the old and new boards side by side:
— Untapped Cities (@untappedcities) April 29, 2019
The LCD signs replaced the original flipboards in the mid-90s, WABC reports, and before that, train times were written by hand in chalk.
Grand Central Station is known for the Beaux-Arts architecture of its main terminal, which was built in 1871 and sees 750,000 people pass through it every day.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.