Grand Central Terminal Replaces Old-School Train Information Boards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Grand Central’s historic terminal is losing a little of its Old World charm.
The iconic train station’s schedule information boards, which show the times and platforms for all departing trains, are going completely digital. The current boards are LCD screens designed to look like the flipboards of a bygone era. But even those screens are further digitizing.
On Monday, officials unveiled the first digital screen. The new track schedules are part of New York’s Metro-North “Way Ahead” initiative, according to WABC. The initiative is a push to keep the trains modern for the growing number of riders on Metro-North, which operates trains to upstate New York.
— Metro-North Railroad (@MetroNorth) April 29, 2019
Here you can see the old and new boards side by side:
— Untapped Cities (@untappedcities) April 29, 2019
The LCD signs replaced the original flipboards in the mid-90s, WABC reports, and before that, train times were written by hand in chalk.
Grand Central Station is known for the Beaux-Arts architecture of its main terminal, which was built in 1871 and sees 750,000 people pass through it every day.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees