Google Flights will now alert you if flying from a nearby airport is cheaper
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Google is rolling out changes to its popular Flights platform that will make searching for inexpensive flights a lot easier — and hopefully cheaper.
Google confirmed to The Points Guy that it had rolled out pop-up updates that will notify travelers if an airport near them offers cheaper tickets and will inform if changing trip dates will result in a lower ticket price. A spokesperson told TPG that these updates have been fully rolled out to all Google Flights users.
The updates were first discovered and reported by Thrifty Traveler.
As TPG’s points, miles and deals reporter, I spend much of my day looking for deals on Google Flights. From plugging in cities, to playing around with ticket classes and multi-city options, I’m always on the hunt for a good deal. Google Flights is an important tool for trying to find cheap flights but it’s also great to use if you’re thinking about an end of the year mileage run.
Google Flights isn’t just a handy resource to find cheap cash fares, either. You can also utilize it to find award flights, too. Savvy travelers use Google Flights to figure out routing options that will help you find award availability. Google Flights is also convenient because you have the option to filter by an alliance.
An award traveler also knows one of the best ways to redeem points and miles is by utilizing is partner airlines. Whether you’re trying to use miles from a Star Alliance carrier, SkyTeam airline or Oneworld partner, it’s critical to know which flights would be bookable using the points or miles you’re trying to redeem. On the flip side, Google Flights is also useful when determining whether you should pay for your ticket in cash instead of using miles.
The updates are a welcome addition, especially if you live in a city that doesn’t see many flight deals but you’re close enough to fly from a city that does. However, in future updates, I’d like to see an option to filter out basic economy tickets. If you’re on the hunt for cheap airfare, or even if you’re searching for award availability, these suggestions should make searching for your next ticket much more straightforward.
Featured image courtesy of Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees