New golf promo: Use Choice points to pay for tee times, earn points and more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a duffer, you’re probably always on the lookout for ways to maximize points and miles for your golf outings and earn loyalty currency to use on future trips. Choice Privileges may have just what you’ve been looking for in its Golf by Choice program. You can earn and use points on gear for your game as well as tee times and even earn points for using a golf-training app.
Here’s what you need to know about Golf by Choice.
Book a tee time on points or earn points
Since you’re golfing anyway, why not earn points for each tee time? Just log into Golf by Choice using your Choice Privileges credentials and you can book tee times at local courses or just about anywhere in the world.
You can earn up to 10 Choice Privileges points for each booking. When you see a course and tee time option that you like, click to add it to your cart and you’ll then see the number of points you’ll earn. For example, when I selected an $89 tee time at the Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort in Palm Springs, the shopping cart indicated I’d earn 7 points. I also checked a $29 tee time at the same course and the number of points earned would also be 7.
So, unless you golf all the time, you won’t earn a landslide of points but even a handful is better than none and can add up and be useful for future redemptions. Don’t forget that Choice Hotels has some attractive all-inclusive resorts starting at 25,000 points per night. You may be able to find one close to your favorite golf courses.
Alternatively, you can use your Choice points to pay for your tee times. At the Tahquitz Creek Golf Resort, the pay with points option ranges from 9,667 to 29,667 points, depending on tee time. In this case, afternoon golfing is cheaper than late-morning bookings.
Earn or use points on golf gear
At the Golf by Choice website, you also have the option of purchasing a variety of items that are essential to up your golf game.
You can buy golf clubs and balls, shoes, bags, clothes and accessories, like a cute golden doodle golf head cover. You can earn thousands of points for things like complete golf club sets (5,000 Choice Privileges points for an 11-piece Callaway Solaire women’s set, for example) or earn 120 points for that head cover.
Or, use your Choice points to pay for merchandise. That same head cover costs 9,997 Choice points.
Use an app to improve your golf skills and earn points
Finally, you can earn 1,000 Choice Privileges points when you buy an annual membership to the Tathata Golf Training Courses app. The annual membership costs $200 when billed annually. TPG values Choice Privileges points at 0.6 cents each, so the bonus points are worth $60. It probably only makes sense to invest in the app if you are interested in actually using it to improve your game.
The annual subscription offers 200 hours of coaching from a variety of golf professionals. The training program includes tips for both your mind and body. The app includes unlimited streaming of all video content, the ability to download videos for offline viewing and access to live online training.
Choice is a program that TPG considers undervalued. You can often buy discounted Choice points directly through the hotelier or during special events like the U.S. Travel Association’s annual Daily Getaways promotion. Or, you can sign up for the Choice Privileges Visa Card to get a 32,000-point bonus for spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. (The information for the Choice Privileges Visa Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.)
If you’re planning a golf trip — especially somewhere with pricey tee times — it might make sense to stock up on Choice points and then use them to book your games. You will need to crunch the numbers in your specific case to determine if you’ll save money going this route.
Featured image by Mint Images/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees