Gogo Launching Faster 5G Inflight Wi-Fi Network in 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gogo, which powers much of the inflight Wi-Fi enjoyed today, has its eyes on a faster future. The connectivity provider today announced plans to build a 5G network for aviation to bolster its air-to-ground services. Of note, this is separate from Gogo’s satellite-based (Ku and 2Ku) efforts.
As mobile providers move beyond LTE, Gogo is actively looking to latch onto those efforts. Per a company release, the new air-to-ground network will be “designed for use on business aviation aircraft, commercial regional jets and smaller mainline jets operating within the contiguous United States and Canada.” If all goes well, it’ll be available for use in 2021.
Oakleigh Thorne, CEO of Gogo, said: “We expect to launch Gogo 5G at the same time as the terrestrial telecommunications companies are deploying the same generation of technology on the ground.” Gogo will build the 5G network on its existing infrastructure of more than 250 towers and will use unlicensed spectrum in the 2.4GHz range.
Just as wireless carriers provide redundancy across their networks, Gogo will continue to employ its 3G and 4G networks throughout the continental US and in Canada as backup to the 5G network when needed.
Ideally, fewer and fewer commercial flights will lean on air-to-ground connectivity, as satellite-based alternatives are far faster. However, for regional flights and smaller mainline jets, business travelers will no doubt take any additional bandwidth they can get.
Featured image by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.