It’s a tough time to be a kid named “Delta” – so this airline sent a little love
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story was updated with a quote from Kellie Gerardi on Aug. 11. It was originally published on Aug. 10, 2021.
Let’s face it, it’s bit of a tough time to be known as Delta, Delta Air Lines or similar given the rise of the delta variant of the coronavirus.
The Atlanta-based airline knows this all too well and empathized with a young traveler by the name of Delta V, after her mom, Kellie Gerardi, a Florida-based scientist for Virgin Galactic, tweeted with the airline about the difficulties her daughter had experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic due to her name.
“My daughter’s name is Delta Victoria (Delta V, which is a nerdy reference to spacecraft flight dynamics),” Kelli told me via Instagram. “With all the news about the Delta Variant, it’s been a particularly stressful time to be named ‘Delta V’!”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“I shared that on Twitter and a few days later we had this amazing care package from Delta (total surprise) including a special plane-shaped backpack filled with tons of Delta-branded goodies!,” recalled Kellie. “It was so sweet”
The care package included a handwritten note, the aforementioned airline-themed backpack, Biscoff cookies and a model plane. The note read:
We saw your tweet and just wanted to let you know that we think your daughter’s name is amazing. It’s the name for people who were meant to fly. We sent you a few things with our favorite name, so she can know how special she is. Wear it loud and #DeltaProud!
— Your friends @Delta
“Our people saw this as an opportunity to send a message to little Delta’s everywhere that the Delta name is amazing and no variant is going to change that,” a Delta spokesperson said via email. “We hope she knows how much we love her name and how special she should feel.”
Featured photo of a Delta Airlines Embraer ERJ-175 in August 2021 by AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees