Faster than the Tube: A new train line will eventually connect Heathrow to central London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: This story has been edited to reflect new information on the Crossrail’s opening dates.
Several years overdue, the highly anticipated Crossrail train service from central London to Heathrow Airport (LHR) has been further delayed.
Software and system issues forced the delay, which will allow more time for testing.
Some new trains will begin running between Heathrow and Paddington Stations in March of next year, but the full “Elizabeth” line is not expected to begin operations until at least 2021.
The new Crossrail service from Paddington to Heathrow will average about 24 minutes.
Heathrow Express will remain the faster option, clocking in around 15 minutes, though it is more expensive.
Once operating, the new Elizabeth line will see six 1,500-person capacity trains per hour run from popular London locations like Bond Street, Liverpool Street and Canary Wharf through to Heathrow Airport, significantly quicker than existing Tube services.
Four of the six trains per hour will operate to Terminals 2/3 and 4, with the other two operating to Terminals 2/3 and 5. Crossrail journeys from Heathrow Airport to Zone 1 (or vice versa) will cost £12.10 ($15.5) each way, which is more than twice the cost of the existing — though much slower — Piccadilly line, the Evening Standard reported. The convenient but expensive Heathrow Express will continue to operate, though it has been reducing its ticket prices in anticipation of the increased competition.
Related reading: How to save on your next Heathrow Express journey
Crossrail will also eventually help reduce the burden on London Underground’s busiest line, the Central line, as both lines share five stops.
The overall cost of the Crossrail project has also now ballooned again by more than $790 million dollars to more than $23.1 billion, with final sections not scheduled to operate until at least 2021.
Featured image by Victoria Jones/PA Images via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees