This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the foundational elements of the points and miles hobby is that you should maximize every online purchases by going through a shopping portal. This doesn’t just apply when buying items online; you also can score bonus points, miles or cashback on travel purchases by using shopping portals.
And today a new offer popped up that makes it especially valuable to book through a portal. Instead of the standard 2x miles you’d normally get from Marriott purchase, you can get 5x the standard rate: 10x miles per dollar spent.
There aren’t many terms and conditions for this offer, but they’re important to keep in mind:
Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.
At current TPG valuations, AAdvantage miles are valued at 1.4 cents each. At a 10x rate, you’re getting around a 14% return on your spending — in addition to what you’d earn otherwise from the stay.
While AAdvantage is certainly the most valuable option, there’s other elevated shopping portal bonus payouts for Marriott purchases:
- United (credit cardholders): 5x — typically 2x
- Delta: 4x — typically 1x
- United (non-cardholders): 3x — typically 1x
Or, if you’re just looking to maximize your cashback, you can get 6% cashback through the Citi Bonus Cash Center:
None of these portal bonuses have a stated end date, meaning that these offers can change at anytime. So, if you’re looking to book (or re-book) a Marriott stay at these elevated rates, don’t delay.
When you do, make sure that you’re putting the purchase on the right credit card to further maximize your earnings. Your best option is to combine this shopping portal bonus with one of the current American Express Amex Offers for Marriott brands:
- Courtyard by Marriott: Spend $200 or more, get $40 back
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott: Spend $200 or more, get $40 back
- Four Points by Sheraton: Spend $200 or more, get $40 back
- Fairfield by Marriott: Spend $200 or more, get $40 back
If you’re not planning to stay at one of these brands, be sure to put the purchase on a card that maximizes your hotel spending. Here’s the top-earning cards for Marriott purchases:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on travel, 6% return)
- Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card (6x on Marriott, 5.4%)
- Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card (6x on Marriott, 5.4%)
- Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express (6x on Marriott, 5.4%)
- Citi Prestige Card (3x on hotels, 5.1%)
- Citi Premier Card (3x on travel, 5.1%)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel, 4%)
H/T: Running With Miles
Earn 75,000 bonus points when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months. On top of the welcome bonus you'll earn 6x points at participating Marriott and Starwood properties and 2 points on everything else plus a free reward night (worth up to 35,000 points) every year after your account anniversary.
- Earn 75,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Get the card that helps you earn more with U.S. News & World Report’s No.1 Hotel Rewards Program, Marriott Rewards.
- Earn 6X points per $1 spent at over 6,700 participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels.
- 2X points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year.
- Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.