Major US airlines waive fare difference for international flyers scrambling to get home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traveling during the pandemic? Be sure to pack some extra flexibility.
On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control announced that all international travelers to the U.S., including citizens, will be required to show proof of a negative COVID test taken within three days of departure.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
With the new rule going into effect on Jan. 26, some flyers are likely scrambling to get home, for fear of getting stranded abroad due to poor testing infrastructure or limited capacity.
To that end, the ‘Big 3’ U.S. airlines will waive both the change fee and fare difference for international travelers looking to get back to the country immediately.
All three carriers have issued a temporary fare difference waiver for travel from all international destinations to the U.S. For tickets purchased on or before Jan. 12 with travel through Feb. 9, American and Delta will allow flyers to change to any other flight before the new testing requirement kicks in.
United’s policy is a bit more generous. The carrier’s waiver includes international tickets originally purchased on or before Jan. 12, 2021 for scheduled travel to the U.S. through Feb. 15.
It remains to be seen if other U.S. carriers will follow suit, but if history is any indication, it won’t be long before we hear from the others.
Even if others don’t match, making a last-minute change likely won’t cost nearly as much as it would’ve before the pandemic.
You’re still on the hook for a possible fare difference, but with airfares at historic lows, making changes these days shouldn’t break the bank.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.