American Airlines Is Handing Out Free Targeted Gold and Platinum Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is targeting some of its AAdvantage members with free status, handing out complimentary Gold or Platinum status for members to enjoy for the next few months.
If you were targeted, you’ll have received an email from AA with the subject reading “Free Platinum status for you,” or “Free Gold status for you.” (It’s worth checking the spam folder on the email associated with your AAdvantage account.) Additionally, you can log in to your AAdvantage account and click on the Promotions tab to see if you are eligible for the free status offer.
Those who did get the offer will be able to take advantage of the free Gold or Platinum status through January 6, 2019. For those getting the complimentary Gold status, you’ll also get 10 500-mile upgrades, and those who were targeted for Platinum status will get 20 of the 500-mile upgrades.
Keep in mind that if you were targeted, you must sign up by October 12, 2018, meaning the complimentary status is valid for just about three months.
The especially appealing part about these targeted offers from AA is that they’re trials of status, meaning you’ll also be able to extend the status if you find yourself liking it. If you were targeted for the Platinum offer, you’ll be able to extend that status through 2020 by earning 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs). Alternatively, if you’re liking it but think you want to take it to the next level, you can elevate to Platinum Pro by earning 20,000 EQMs or $2,400 EQDs by January 31, 2019. The extension offer for those targeted for Gold status isn’t available at this time.
It’s unclear how exactly American targets members for these free status offers. But if you were targeted, it could be worth taking advantage just to test it out. TPG values AAdvantage Gold status at $970 and Platinum status at $2,185.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.