American Airlines Is Handing Out Free Targeted Gold and Platinum Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines is targeting some of its AAdvantage members with free status, handing out complimentary Gold or Platinum status for members to enjoy for the next few months.
If you were targeted, you’ll have received an email from AA with the subject reading “Free Platinum status for you,” or “Free Gold status for you.” (It’s worth checking the spam folder on the email associated with your AAdvantage account.) Additionally, you can log in to your AAdvantage account and click on the Promotions tab to see if you are eligible for the free status offer.
Those who did get the offer will be able to take advantage of the free Gold or Platinum status through January 6, 2019. For those getting the complimentary Gold status, you’ll also get 10 500-mile upgrades, and those who were targeted for Platinum status will get 20 of the 500-mile upgrades.
Keep in mind that if you were targeted, you must sign up by October 12, 2018, meaning the complimentary status is valid for just about three months.
The especially appealing part about these targeted offers from AA is that they’re trials of status, meaning you’ll also be able to extend the status if you find yourself liking it. If you were targeted for the Platinum offer, you’ll be able to extend that status through 2020 by earning 12,500 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or $1,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs). Alternatively, if you’re liking it but think you want to take it to the next level, you can elevate to Platinum Pro by earning 20,000 EQMs or $2,400 EQDs by January 31, 2019. The extension offer for those targeted for Gold status isn’t available at this time.
It’s unclear how exactly American targets members for these free status offers. But if you were targeted, it could be worth taking advantage just to test it out. TPG values AAdvantage Gold status at $970 and Platinum status at $2,185.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees