France Just Outlawed Catcalling and Street Harassment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad news for men who somehow think it’s OK to tell women to smile or whistle at them as they pass by on the street, especially in France — now it’s illegal.
The law would introduce on-the-spot charges of up to 750 euros for catcalling or other inappropriate, unwanted behaviors. While the government is not looking to “kill the culture of the French lover,” it will “forbid insulting, intimidating, threatening, and following women in public spaces.”
This news comes only a few days after a disturbing video went viral in France. In it, a young woman was punched in the face by a passerby after she told him to “shut up” when he catcalled her.
Additionally, this new piece of legislation extends the statute of limitations for filing a sexual-assault report. Until now, this statute was 20 years from when the survivor turned 18 — it’s now been extended by another decade.
Gender equality minister Marlène Schiappa, one of the proponents for the new law, further explained that “We want to preserve seduction, chivalry, and ‘l’amour à la francaise’ by saying what is key is consent.”
This has been a long time coming and serves as a reminder that there’s a big difference between exploring the City of Love with someone you love — and being harassed by someone you don’t.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees