France Just Outlawed Catcalling and Street Harassment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad news for men who somehow think it’s OK to tell women to smile or whistle at them as they pass by on the street, especially in France — now it’s illegal.
The law would introduce on-the-spot charges of up to 750 euros for catcalling or other inappropriate, unwanted behaviors. While the government is not looking to “kill the culture of the French lover,” it will “forbid insulting, intimidating, threatening, and following women in public spaces.”
This news comes only a few days after a disturbing video went viral in France. In it, a young woman was punched in the face by a passerby after she told him to “shut up” when he catcalled her.
Additionally, this new piece of legislation extends the statute of limitations for filing a sexual-assault report. Until now, this statute was 20 years from when the survivor turned 18 — it’s now been extended by another decade.
Gender equality minister Marlène Schiappa, one of the proponents for the new law, further explained that “We want to preserve seduction, chivalry, and ‘l’amour à la francaise’ by saying what is key is consent.”
This has been a long time coming and serves as a reminder that there’s a big difference between exploring the City of Love with someone you love — and being harassed by someone you don’t.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.