Flyer Tries to Open Emergency Exit Thinking It’s the Lavatory
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A first-time flyer almost made the mistake of a lifetime on a GoAir flight earlier this week.
The man, in his late twenties, attempted to open the Airbus A320 emergency exit mid-flight because he claimed he thought it was the door to the lavatory. According to the Independent, the passenger started pulling the emergency door handle, saying he “needed to use the washroom urgently.”
Officials say “pandemonium” then erupted. Fellow passengers saw what the unidentified man was doing and began screaming and trying to stop him. The Times of India reports that some passengers tried to stop him and were injured while wrestling the man away from the emergency door.
There were reportedly no serious injuries among the flight’s 150 passengers, and it landed safely at its destination, Patna, India (PAT) at about 7:30pm local time. The man was handed over to airport police for questioning. Authorities later released him once they were sure the incident was a genuine mistake. Officials said that the man had successfully unhatched the door, but because of the outside pressure, he couldn’t open it, according to the Times of India. It would take three to four tons of force to open an emergency door mid-flight.
In a similar incident in 2017, a teenager opened the emergency exit on a grounded Copa Airlines aircraft and slid down the aircraft emergency slide.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.