Flyer Tries to Open Emergency Exit Thinking It’s the Lavatory
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A first-time flyer almost made the mistake of a lifetime on a GoAir flight earlier this week.
The man, in his late twenties, attempted to open the Airbus A320 emergency exit mid-flight because he claimed he thought it was the door to the lavatory. According to the Independent, the passenger started pulling the emergency door handle, saying he “needed to use the washroom urgently.”
Officials say “pandemonium” then erupted. Fellow passengers saw what the unidentified man was doing and began screaming and trying to stop him. The Times of India reports that some passengers tried to stop him and were injured while wrestling the man away from the emergency door.
There were reportedly no serious injuries among the flight’s 150 passengers, and it landed safely at its destination, Patna, India (PAT) at about 7:30pm local time. The man was handed over to airport police for questioning. Authorities later released him once they were sure the incident was a genuine mistake. Officials said that the man had successfully unhatched the door, but because of the outside pressure, he couldn’t open it, according to the Times of India. It would take three to four tons of force to open an emergency door mid-flight.
In a similar incident in 2017, a teenager opened the emergency exit on a grounded Copa Airlines aircraft and slid down the aircraft emergency slide.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees