This nonprofit takes minority kids aloft to encourage aviation careers
This February, TPG has been recognizing African-Americans in the aviation industry for Black History Month. Today, we’re spotlighting the work of Fly For The Culture, a nonprofit based in Charlotte, North Carolina that “focuses on promoting diversity within the aviation industry.”
Fly For The Culture’s founder, Courtland Savage, hopes to improve diversity in aviation by planting the seed early.
“What we do is take kids on introductory flights. Kids who have never even stepped foot on an airfield,” Courtland told The Root in November.
“Most minority kids don’t even know it’s possible nor have they seen pilots that look like them in airplanes, so we show them by putting them in a plane with a black pilot and taking them flying for their first time ever.”
Now based in Raleigh, N.C., Savage is a commercial pilot who flies Delta and United regional jets.
Fly For The Culture also takes young people on tours of airport facilities, aircraft manufacturers and aviation maintenance facilities. In addition, it offers a course in Student Pilot Fundamentals, teaching concepts like aerodynamics, checklist philosophy and the flight training process.
A quick look at the numbers shows the organization is sorely needed.
According to 2019 figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly 94% of pilots and flight engineers are white. Fewer than three percent are black or African-American, Hispanic pilots comprise just two percent of the industry and just 7.5% are women.
A career in aviation can happen at any time. Jerome Stanislaus, who works with Fly for The Culture to provide flight lessons to minority children, decided to become a pilot after leaving a Sunday church service. He previously had a career with the United States Marines and held a degree in airport management, but wanted more.
“Out of nowhere, my heart just got really filled with wanting to share aviation with others,” he told CNN in an interview last year. After his service, Stanislaus said, he signed up for flight lessons. Now as a licensed pilot, he takes kids and young adults of color on flying lessons.
Fly For The Culture arranges for students to to aloft on general aviation flights with licensed pilots in a Cessna 172 or similar aircraft, according to the website. For students interested in a career in aviation, the organization provides mentorship and support.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees