“Uncontrollable” Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Astana Flight KC1388 landed safely at Portugal’s Beja Airport Sunday afternoon after declaring a “general emergency” and experiencing “uncontrollable” aircraft issues in-flight, according to the International Flight Network. The aircraft began squawking the code 7700 shortly after takeoff indicating an emergency. There were no passengers aboard the flight.
The Cairo-bound Embraer 190 departed from Portugal’s largest airport, Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport (LIS), where it was being serviced for maintenance and thus had no passengers on board, at 1:31pm local time Sunday, but developed severe technical issues mid-flight. According to audio communication between the pilots and air traffic control, the plane’s instruments were unusable and pilots had no control over the aircraft. With bad weather conditions near Lisbon Airport and without functioning landing systems, the pilots began preparing for the worst-case scenario of ditching the plane: the formal term for making an emergency controlled water landing.
Portuguese F-16s were deployed to assist the aircraft, and air traffic control suggested the aircraft reroute to land at Beja Airport (BYL), a military base located approximately 75 miles southeast of Lisbon in an area with better weather. The pilots eventually managed to gain control following a series of extreme changes in altitude, speed and heading (direction).
Air Astana, which is based out of Kazakhstan, confirmed via social media that one of the airline’s 9 Embraer E-190s suffered a loss of control shortly after takeoff. Though Air Astana does not operate passenger services to or from Lisbon Airport, the airline sends select aircraft to Lisbon for regularly scheduled maintenance. The Air Astana E-190 is registered as P4-KCJ and is 7 years old.
The incident is currently under investigation. This post will be updated as more details are made available.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.