“Uncontrollable” Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Astana Flight KC1388 landed safely at Portugal’s Beja Airport Sunday afternoon after declaring a “general emergency” and experiencing “uncontrollable” aircraft issues in-flight, according to the International Flight Network. The aircraft began squawking the code 7700 shortly after takeoff indicating an emergency. There were no passengers aboard the flight.
The Cairo-bound Embraer 190 departed from Portugal’s largest airport, Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport (LIS), where it was being serviced for maintenance and thus had no passengers on board, at 1:31pm local time Sunday, but developed severe technical issues mid-flight. According to audio communication between the pilots and air traffic control, the plane’s instruments were unusable and pilots had no control over the aircraft. With bad weather conditions near Lisbon Airport and without functioning landing systems, the pilots began preparing for the worst-case scenario of ditching the plane: the formal term for making an emergency controlled water landing.
Portuguese F-16s were deployed to assist the aircraft, and air traffic control suggested the aircraft reroute to land at Beja Airport (BYL), a military base located approximately 75 miles southeast of Lisbon in an area with better weather. The pilots eventually managed to gain control following a series of extreme changes in altitude, speed and heading (direction).
Air Astana, which is based out of Kazakhstan, confirmed via social media that one of the airline’s 9 Embraer E-190s suffered a loss of control shortly after takeoff. Though Air Astana does not operate passenger services to or from Lisbon Airport, the airline sends select aircraft to Lisbon for regularly scheduled maintenance. The Air Astana E-190 is registered as P4-KCJ and is 7 years old.
The incident is currently under investigation. This post will be updated as more details are made available.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees