These Are the First Routes Out of Istanbul’s Humongous New Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Turkey is about to unveil a new airport — one of the largest and most technologically advanced in the world. Named Istanbul New Airport, it has been a project long in the works, and long expected to open officially on Oct. 29, 2018, though there has been some concern regarding just how the transition from Istanbul’s current airport, Ataturk (IST), will go. Now, just more than a week before opening, there are more clues as to how the transition will be handled and what routes will first operate out of its six runways.
Turkish Airlines released a statement, saying that it plans to “launch [a] limited number of domestic and international flights from Istanbul New Airport until December 29, 2018; and will continue to carry out its main operation and existing schedule without a change at Istanbul Atatürk Airport.”
More specifically, Turkish announced that its first routes out of New Airport — with a temporary IATA code “ISL” — will be Ankara (ESB), Antalya (AYT), Izmir (ADB), Baku (GYD) and Ercan (ECN). The airline said that those routes from New Airport will be in addition to flights already being carried out from Atatürk until Dec. 30, 2018.
Then, the official move from Atatürk to New Airport will take place for Turkish on Dec. 31, 2018. As of that date, all flights currently operating out of Atatürk will move to New Airport. When the old airport closes, New Airport will take the “IST” IATA code, replacing its current, temporary “ISL” code.
The original plan for the transition from Ataturk to New Airport was supposed to happen within 48 hours. A mass migration from the original IST to New Airport was effectively supposed to happen overnight, with a mass transportation between the two.
The Istanbul New Airport is sure to be one that will rank among the top in the world. The 1.47 million-square-meter airport is billed as the world’s largest and is capable of transporting more than 200,000 passengers each day. Estimated to cost $12 billion, the airport will eventually be able to accommodate 200 million passengers each year.
Featured image by Anadolu Agency / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees