California Wildfire Produces Fire Clouds and ‘Firenadoes’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A devastating California wildfire has taken over parts of Northern California, already claiming the lives of six people. Now, fire clouds and what some are calling “firenadoes” are hovering over the fires.
Pyrocumulus “fire” clouds have formed above impacted areas, creating “basically its own localized weather system,” according to CNN Weather. These clouds form similarly to how clouds we’re most familiar with do, except they occur under faster and hotter conditions. The strong heat of the fire pulls moisture from burning vegetation, which then combines with smoke particles and condenses. Inside, conditions resemble the thunderstorms they appear to be from the outside.
The wildfire in California has also lead to what us widely being called “firenadoes.” Essentially, they’re a tornado in the midst of the mess of fire and ash. The video below that CNN Weather Center tweeted looks frighteningly like the end of the world.
So far, no travel waivers have been issued due to the wildfire, and Flight Aware shows fairly normal conditions at airports in California, but TPG is monitoring the issue in case anything arises.
According to USA Today, the fire itself has spread across more than 150 square miles, and more than 30,000 Californians continue to be evacuated from affected or potentially dangerous areas. According to officials, just 20% of the fire is currently contained.
However, it seems like fire responders seem to have gained a greater control over the situation in California. “We’re feeling a lot more optimistic today as we are starting to gain some ground rather than be in the defensive mode all the time,” one incident commander, Bret Gouvea, said.
Featured image of pyrocumulus cloud by JOSH EDELSON/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees