This North Carolina Town Has One of the US’ Fastest-Growing Aviation Markets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Times are good for the tourism industry in Asheville, North Carolina — a quaint, artsy town in the heart of the state’s Blue Ridge Mountain range.
Asheville, known for its bevy of craft breweries, the Biltmore Estate and burgeoning local art scene, is not only growing its hotel capacity by 40% over the next four years, but also it has a booming aviation market to accommodate waves of new tourists.
Over the last two years alone, Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) increased its flight capacity on weekly departing seats by 33.2%, according to new numbers from aviation consulting group IFC Inc. Direct flights to and from New York, in addition to its tourism boon, have also helped Asheville grow its flight capacity in the past couple years. In late 2016, Allegiant Air added four flights a week from Newark (EWR) to Asheville (AVL), and United made its seasonal EWR to AVL route a year-round fixture that year as well.
Asheville’s growth rate is second only to Florida’s Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (VPS), which edged out Asheville by just a tenth of a percentage at 33.3% added capacity, for the fastest growing airport in the country with at least 5,000 weekly departing seats.
Destin, a popular resort town in Florida’s panhandle, is seeing full flights everyday, local officials say. “These aircraft are coming in slammed full,” Tracy Stage, airports director for Okaloosa County, Florida, told Bloomberg. “Destin used to be a well-kept secret, but it’s ranked in the top five in terms of world-class beaches and fishing.”
The other fastest-growing airports in the US are small regional outposts, too, IFC Inc. reports. Peoria, Illinois (PIA), trails behind Asheville with 28.7% growth of weekly departing seats, followed by Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW) — the home of the state’s regional carrier, Air Wisconsin. Rounding out the top five fastest-growing airports with at least 5,000 weekly departing seats is Trenton, NJ (TTN), which added 26.2% capacity to its departing seat capacity.
Featured image by George Rose/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees